[Solved] Bluetooth devices interfering with wpa_supplicant
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krypcik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Bluetooth devices interfering with wpa_supplicant Reply with quote

Hello everyone, never expected to post here, but I actually got stumped for good this time.
And they say Internet got an answer for every question :roll:

Anyway, here lies the issue:

I've got both bluez and pulseaudio for setting up my headset.
And I'm networking with wpa_supplicant (I'm still figuring out the configuration of NetworkManager)

I've got my fancy bluetooth headset, that I wanted to connect to my laptop, fair enough. Here comes the problem though: When I connect my bluetooth headset and try to play for example youtube video, networking on wpa_supplicant gets seriously finnicky, keeps disconnecting, reconnecting over and over again (over 60 notifications from wpa_gui in a time span of a minute). Looking at "ping google.com", the network gets response... sometimes, and it takes over 3000ms, and then it disconnects again. According to the wpa-gui logs, the "reason=6"

Here comes the weird part though. I tried to test it out with my phone, you know, if it's caused by my headset maybe? Turns out, having both headset and phone connected at the same time through the bluetooth, completely calms everything down. The issue just disappears. All the networking works fine, not a single issue.

I tried to set up some sort of bluetooth dummy device to see if that solves the issue, but that's somewhat back-arsed way to solve the issue, so I scrapped it. Besides, test packages for bluez are so incredibly deprecated that they're using sys-apps that seem to be already deprecated and long gone (6 years ago last commitment).

So my theory is that both wpa_supplicant and bluez use the same allocated RAM memory for some reason. And when bluetooth packets start flowing, they start to replace wifi packets and cause issues. Then another device comes over and takes the headphones place in the stack, but since nothing on the device is happening - no issue, because no data gets replaced. Would this theory be feasible?

Also, does anyone have any clue how to solve this problem for real?

Thanks, and sorry for starting my career on this forum with an issue.

----------------

After probing a bit, it seems to be an interference issue. I'm looking for a way to change channel on my gentoo installation right now.

[Moderator edit: Moved poster's self-response into main post, then deleted that self-response to return the thread to the unanswered list.

OP: Generally, if post length permits, you should edit extra information into your first post instead of replying to it. Some users run a canned search for threads with zero replies as a way of finding posts to answer. When you replied to yourself, you removed your thread from that list, even though you were not replying to announce that the thread was solved. Thus, they would no longer see your thread on the list of unanswered threads.
-Hu]

Krypcik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually managed to solve it. Yay. Anyway solution is this:

Create /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf

Add to the .conf line below:
Code:

options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0 swcrypto=1 11n_disable=8

Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krypcik,

welcome to the forums!

And thank you for providing the solution, I'm sure future readers of this thread will benefit from this.
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Bluetooth devices interfering with wpa_supplica Reply with quote

Krypcik wrote:
Thanks, and sorry for starting my career on this forum with an issue.
Welcome to the forum. These are intended as support forums, so somebody has to post problems for other people to solve. Otherwise, we'd just lurk on the support forums. Usually people start off with problems a little simpler than yours, so you should be proud that you got as far as you did before you needed help. It speaks well of you that you then solved it yourself and posted the answer for the benefit of future readers.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: