[Solved] Nouveau/nvidia_fb drivers not working
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:20 am    Post subject: [Solved] Nouveau/nvidia_fb drivers not working Reply with quote

I'm having an issue with X after re-working my system.

X will work for root, but the display is garbled. I can see that twm is working behind it and it responds to keyboard and mouse inputs. If I run it as my user, it shows this garbled screen briefly and then immediately exits of its own accord. It doesn't crash out, it exits for some reason.

The video card is an nVidia that I initially ran via the nouveau module, but I have since compiled it into the kernel itself. I also put the nVidiafb parameter in the kernel as native. I get the
Code:
/dev/dri/card0: no such file or directory
. I do get the happy penguins upon startup.

Here is the /var/log/Xorg.0.log if I run as root=http://dpaste.com/0P6G7CH

If I run as my normal user, this is the Xorg.0.log=http://dpaste.com/2XSMNBF

My .config is here=http://dpaste.com/06VKEAS

Here is my make.conf=http://dpaste.com/1RT36AC

My user is in the following groups
Code:
tty wheel floppy uucp console audio cdrom video cdrw usb input users dda

I know there's multiple things going on here, a possible permissions issue, I've been through it and through it and through it. Would anyone have an idea what I'm missing here?

Edit:

The output of dmesg is over 65000 lines of:
Code:
nvidia_fb setcoloreg START
nvidia_fb setcoloreg END

Thank you in advance for the help

Last edited by superdeez on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've partially solved this. I used an old .config file I had for this machine and when I removed both the noveau and nvidia_fb drivers completely from the kernel, X began working. X was quitting for my user with a status of 0 because twm (which I was using for testing) was causing its main xterm to quit.

X (and KDE) are now working fine, but of course in this configuration it is eating CPU time for lunch.

The card is an nVidia NV44A, it may be worth mentioning this is a PCI (as opposed to PCI-e or AGP) card. Other than saving my current config as "safe" and then trying one video driver at a time and rebooting to see what might work, I haven't got any better ideas.

Do I need agpgart in the kernel for a straight PCI card?

The garbled display was because for some reason the nvidia kernel drivers were causing the screen to be drawn and drawn and drawn again on top of itself. X was working, it was just making the screen about 5 times on the same display. Disabling noveau and nvidia_fb got rid of this.

Any suggestions would be appriceiated

Edited to add details about screen being redrawn
axl
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in general, nvidiafb and nouveau and nvidia-drivers are things that will want to use your card exclusively. nvidiafb should never be used. unless you really just want a framebuffer device for console and nothing more fancy. I can't think of a modern nvidia card where you want just that. the only things that will work on your shiny new system with that are things you compiled with fbcon as useflags. NOT the kde/plasma/gnome WM's which require hardware acceleration for 3d stuff, which nvidiafb clearly doesn't provide.

Nouveau does provide that for certain cards. nouveau does both console framebuffer, and X hardware accelerated things, but it doesn't always work with new cards. and finally, with new cards, you may want to or be forced to go with nvidia drivers. the proprietary solution.

a system can have both nouveau AND nvidia drivers at the same time, just as long as you keep track of 2 things.

1. nvidia-drivers cannot be included in the kernel. they are always modules outside of the kernel. so keep nouveau outside of the kernel as well (as a module, not included in the kernel - you can't unload it that way). include just the minimal VGA 16 color graphic support to get boot messages and/or EFI framebuffer interface as Y Yes included in kernel and nouveau as module. You can switch between them at boot via parameter modprobe.blacklist=nouveau or modprobe.blacklist=nvidia. can even make 2 boot entries to switch drivers.

BUT

2. you should also keep track of switching opengl implementation via eselect opengl set. can make a script in local.d to check boot parameter in dmesg and switch before X starts.

One thing I'm certain, you dont want nvidiafb. Good luck. :)
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noveau worked and worked well. Thanks, axl!

With the new configuration, however, plasmashell crashes. I'm going to do an @world update with --changed-use and see if that helps. Noveau does seem to be working well with an NV44A.
axl
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure to change opengl implementation with eselect opengl set [whatever number xorg is].
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superdeez,

nouveau and nvidia-drivers require different and conflicting kernel configurations.
Sometimes this can be worked around with a blacklist, so you can build both, sometimes not. It appears to vary with versions of nvidia-drivers.

All of the hardware framebuffer drivers on the Framebuffer menu are for hardware that is turn of the millennium and should not be used.
There are three exceptions, Simple Framebuffer, EFI Framebuffer and VESA Framebuffer which are all hardware independent.

nouveau will give you a framebuffer console anyway, if nouveau is not built in, you need VESA Framebuffer to give you boot messages before nouveau loads.

nvidia-drivers comes with dire warnings about you must use a text console.
However, as long as your framebuffer driver does not configure the GPU, it seems to work.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
superdeez
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neddy Seagoon,

It is all working properly with noveau at the present time. I'm not a huge fan of framebuffer consoles, but I can live with the trade off to get hardware acceleration working.

As far as KDE goes, I've become increasingly unhappy with the direction they've been taking KDE in the last couple of years. I merged xfce in 30 minutes and it's working without a hitch.

Barring any unforseen circumstances, I'm going to call this one solved. Hey, at least the main box works. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: