wpa_supplicant: unsupported driver
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
someguynamedmatt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: wpa_supplicant: unsupported driver Reply with quote

First time with Gentoo and I've been going through the Handbook. I've successfully partitioned my drive, compiled the kernel, and can boot without the Live image. But outside of the live env I can't get wpa_supplicant to connect to my AP (while root), whereas it did in the installation process.

I can post this output more formally when I get back to my non-work machine, but to memory I haven't seen any errors in dmesg related to my device and I can successfully scan for APs with iw, so I don't think the problem is my network card. I've tried three drivers: nl80211, wext, and ath10k_pci which all give the same Unsupported driver error (something about passing a null parameter around).

My machine is a Dell XPS 9560 with a Qualcomm QCA6174A device. And, fwiw, I've ham-fistedly selected all the Atheros drivers in my kernel compilation in a last-resort attempt to get it working.

[UPDATE]: Rubber-ducking is fun. It appears as though I was supposed to set up a .config file specifically for wpa_supplicant wherein I define which drivers I want it to be built with. That makes intuitive sense. My followup question to that is: Where is this .config file supposed to live? And then, what? I just re-run emerge?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someguynamedmatt,

Welcome to Gentoo.

You need some of this wiki page.

A pastebin of dmesg would be good, from your own gentoo install.
Save it to a file, then pastebin the file once you have connectivity.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
someguynamedmatt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I figured it out. There was a discrepancy between the USE flags I was seeing in the handbook vs. some other documentation I was reading. Switching them up has everything working like a charm. For reference to whomever may find this (and is running my system XPS 9560) the USE flags I got to get this to work were:

Code:

bindist dbus hs2-0 qt5 readline ssl -ap* -eap-sim* -eapol_test* -fasteap* -gnutls -libressl -p2p* -privsep* (-ps3) (-selinux) -smartcard* -suiteb -tdls* -uncommon-eap-types* (-wimax) -wps*

Hope this helps someone!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: