View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeGa!
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Near unreadable fonts using dark transparent(ish) terminals Reply with quote

Hello guys,

I'm an old and very happy user of dark terminals with semi-transparent terminals, and since many years ago I tried to get some kind of ARGB / blur in the transparent section of the terminal.

In the same way, since many years ago, I'm facing the same issue: Dark semi-transparent terminals (blurred or not) are almost unreadable with standard terminal colors.

What do I mean for standard: I'm currently using Konsole with the "Linux Colors" theme, with transparency at 25%. I'm using the standard terminal colors in Gentoo (that is, profile and bashrc untouched), so for example, sometimes blue tones are mostly unreadable if I don't set the display brightness pretty high.

There are issues with other colors too, but I'd like to know how to tackle the issue so I can play until I get satisfying results.

Thanks in advance.

Adopt an unanswered post.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "standard" VGA blue shades are pretty unreadable on anything but solid black, yeah. I've changed mine to #4242a6 / #5c5ce6 years back, or else most portage tools are unreadable to me.
grooveman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change your DIR_COLORS on your system, or set them up in your .bashrc

For example, try DIR 01;96 instead of the default 34... That will turn your directories turquoise instead of dark blue. The great thing is using the filters in vim, you can actually see the text change on the fly, as you edit the file. Very handy...

Or, on the fly, you can do a "\ls" instead of a plain ls, and that will turn the output white, just for that one command.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: