View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: OpenGL and Nvidia [solved] Reply with quote

Hello,
I am having trouble running the Unreal Game Engine (4.22) on two different Gentoo boxes. I'll describe the issue on one box here and the other in a separate post.

Basically that problems seems to be that the opengl version doesn't seem apporpriate for the graphics card?

The box has an GTX 1080Ti in it. It's running on the "nvidia" opengl (as determined by eselect). The beginning of glxinfo seems to indicate it only has version 1.4 support though?
Code:

~ $ glxinfo                                                                                                   
name of display: localhost:12.0                                                                                               
display: localhost:12  screen: 0                                                                                             
direct rendering: Yes                                                                                                         
server glx vendor string: SGI                                                                                                 
server glx version string: 1.4                                                                                               
server glx extensions:                                                                                                       
    GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_ARB_create_context,                                                                   
    GLX_ARB_create_context_no_error, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,                                                         
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_multisample,                                                   
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,                                                   
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,                                                                 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_libglvnd, GLX_EXT_no_config_context,                                                     
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,                                                 
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample,                                                     
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group,                                                       
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read                                                                                                 
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI                                                                               
client glx version string: 1.4                                                                                               
client glx extensions:                                                         

I'm running a newer version of the nvidia-drivers:

Hello,
I am having trouble running the Unreal Game Engine (4.22) on two different Gentoo boxes. I'll describe the issue on one box here and the other in a separate post.

Basically that problems seems to be that the opengl version doesn't seem apporpriate for the graphics card?

The box has an GTX 1080Ti in it. It's running on the "nvidia" opengl (as determined by eselect). The beginning of glxinfo seems to indicate it only has version 1.4 support though?
Code:

~ $ glxinfo                                                                                                   
name of display: localhost:12.0                                                                                               
display: localhost:12  screen: 0                                                                                             
direct rendering: Yes                                                                                                         
server glx vendor string: SGI                                                                                                 
server glx version string: 1.4                                                                                               
server glx extensions:                                                                                                       
    GLX_ARB_context_flush_control, GLX_ARB_create_context,                                                                   
    GLX_ARB_create_context_no_error, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile,                                                         
    GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, GLX_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_ARB_multisample,                                                   
    GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile,                                                   
    GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB,                                                                 
    GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_libglvnd, GLX_EXT_no_config_context,                                                     
    GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating,                                                 
    GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample,                                                     
    GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group,                                                       
    GLX_SGI_make_current_read                                                                                                 
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI                                                                               
client glx version string: 1.4                                                                                               
client glx extensions:                                                         

I'm running a newer version of the nvidia-drivers: 440.36-r1(0/440)^mtd(09:19:41 AM 12/06/2019)

I can compile the Unreal Engine Editor but when I try to start it says I don't have GL version 4, and when I try to run with -opengl3 it says my card isn't Level5, that I have FeatureLevel=SM4 and ShaderPlatform=GLSL_150

I'm sure I'm missing something stupid here -- can anyone point me in the right direction?

Last edited by justin_brody on Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jburns
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run
Code:
glxinfo | grep OpenGL
to see the OpenGL version.
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks jburns. Here's what I get:
Quote:

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 7.1, 256 bits)
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 19.2.8
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 19.2.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.40
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 19.2.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

so it seems like it's not really picking it up from nvidia? A 1080Ti should have pretty recent version of OpenGL I think?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia's opengl is for the proprietary drivers, is the X server not using them? (may want to review the wiki page)

It should look more like:
Code:
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 1070/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 440.44
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ionen,

The X server should be using them, I have the line from the wiki in my xorg.conf

*but*, I'm not sure an X server is even running. Maybe this is the issue? I'm trying to run the program over SSH.

O.k., thinking about this more I feel like this must be what's happening! So I guess the solution is to enable the right kind of rendering (indirect or direct)?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justin_brody wrote:
O.k., thinking about this more I feel like this must be what's happening! So I guess the solution is to enable the right kind of rendering (indirect or direct)?
Indirect should be needed yes, although X11 forwarding that uses OpenGL is not something I've tried nor know much about, don't think I can help you (if you can avoid it, I'd do so).

But check your Xorg.0.log, if there's a line with "Indirect GLX disabled" then it's probably disabled :) But even if enabled, I'd bet there's more problems.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which program(s) are you running over ssh? Are you connecting them to the local X server or to the ssh X11 forwarding service?
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ionen! I'm wondering if this will be more trouble than it's worth; trying to get it going on my laptop too but it may be more than my laptop can handle.

Hu, I'm trying to run CARLA, which is a simulator that runs on top of Unreal. Ideally, what I would like is for much of the rendering to happen on the remote server and then be displayed on my laptop. Is this possible with indirect rendering?
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think indirect rendering is what you want then, it's to forward the GL calls to the machine where it's being displayed which then has to do the rendering work (I don't think you want your laptop to do this).

I never tried that either but sounds like you want VirtualGL. Simplest would probably be VNC / remote desktop though but I imagine it'll have worse latency.
justin_brody
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that makes sense! I think I've managed to get a version running on my laptop so I'll hold off for now. Many thanks for the help!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: