Libreoffice(-bin) constipation: blocks other packages
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Libreoffice(-bin) constipation: blocks other packages Reply with quote

Over the past while (a year, perhaps?), I've noticed that app-office/libreoffice-bin-6.1.5.2 has been holding back app-text/hunspell-1.7.0. I simply lived with this conflict (it didn't seem too serious).

Now, however, the situation escalates, with app-office/libreoffice-bin-6.1.5.2 holding back dev-libs/liborcus-0.14.1
...which, in turn, holds back dev-libs/libixion-0.14.1
...which, in turn, holds back dev-util/mdds-1.4.3

Here is what I'm seeing; is the solution to wait for a fresher libreoffice-bin? Thanks in-advance for your thoughts:

Code:
# emerge -puv mdds libixion liborcus --backtrack=1000

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB

WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:

dev-util/mdds:1

(dev-util/mdds-1.4.3:1/1.4::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    =dev-util/mdds-1.3*:1= required by (dev-libs/libixion-0.13.0:0/0.13::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge)
    ^              ^^^^   
    =dev-util/mdds-1.3*:1 required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.13.4:0/0.13::gentoo, installed)
    ^              ^^^^ 

dev-libs/libixion:0

(dev-libs/libixion-0.14.1:0/0.14::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    =dev-libs/libixion-0.13*:0/0.13= required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.13.4:0/0.13::gentoo, installed)
    ^                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    =dev-libs/libixion-0.13*:= required by (dev-libs/liborcus-0.13.4:0/0.13::gentoo, installed)
    ^                  ^^^^^ 

dev-libs/liborcus:0

(dev-libs/liborcus-0.14.1:0/0.14::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with
    =dev-libs/liborcus-0.13* required by (app-office/libreoffice-bin-6.1.5.2:0/0::gentoo, installed)
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libreoffice-bin is thinked for a gentoo stable, if you are in a unstable system you can't use libreoffice-bin
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also currently 4th placed sticky thread in Portage & Programming
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both @fedeliallalinea and @asturm - yes, my system is "stable" ("stable" Gentoo for 15 years!)

I was aware of the sticky regarding libreoffice-bin, and that there is a certain time-lag before the release of an updated-bin-version. Because I was aware of this, I led (gently!) with my comment about 'hunspell' and the protracted conflict preventing 'hunspell' from upgrading due to libreoffice-bin. It makes me smile a bit, to consider that when the thread you reference was originally written - 2013 - and now "a week or two" may have become "a year or two" :-)

I really do appreciate "stable" and a consistent system, which supports my productivity... which is why I live with the occasional, isolated, non-critical conflict. But as un-met dependencies or conflicts escalate higher up the dependency-tree, I become concerned. At this point, my level of concern is to inquire, and see if wiser folks have a path that may resolve a visibly-growing situation.

Thank-you,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: