Tried changing from consolekit to elogind, broke things
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tried changing from consolekit to elogind, broke things Reply with quote

OK, sorry for the vague subject.

As I said, I switched from consolekit to elogind so that I could try out Wayland. It worked, but the lack of touchpad support and sluggish graphics made me switch back.

Only now, things are broken in strange ways.

The problems are:

• Noto sans appears half as wide as it should. :\
  • Xorg log has this rare error:
    Code:
    (EE) Failed to open authorization file "/var/run/sddm/{e546634b-6288-4bac-892f-6c4f40e77699}": No such file or directory

Although it is there when I go and look for it, which is not to say that it was there earlier.
  • My KDE session is not restoring; each time I start with a blank desktop.

The Noto sans problem is only occurring for my user account, not others. Haven't experimented with KDE sessions.

What did I break??? I have been using KDE since version 3.5 and never seen this, but I also never tried an alternative to consolekit.

Any advice on how to fix this weirdness appreciated.
Joseph K.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the strangely narrow font was caused by a bug or misfeature of the Plasma Fonts System Settings module when you Adjust All Fonts...
For some reason it then defaults to using the extra condensed style.
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run into similar oddities trying to configure KDE/Plasma for elogind.

If you follow the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Elogind wiki it has you set the following options in the kernel:

Code:

Security options  --->
    [*] Enable different security models
    [*] Simplified Mandatory Access Control Kernel Support

If I set those options in my current stable kernel (4.19.27-gentoo-r1) while using consolekit, my USB stack seems to get messed up. My nut upsd daemon throws errors similar to yours constantly in the system error log:
Code:

upsd[31988]: Can't connect to UPS [CyberPower1500PFCLCD] (usbhid-ups-CyberPower1500PFCLCD): No such file or directory

and my vmware 15 modules (from the stefantalpalaru overlay) fail to create the vmware USB driver and my system eventually freezes solid (reset button required for reboot).

Remove those two options from the kernel, and my current setup works flawlessly.

This makes me a little nervous, because clearly consolekit is eventually going to disappear from the desktop profiles (https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1094626-highlight-elogind.html). Hopefully issues such as these will be resolved before elogind goes live in the desktop profile.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've moved my systems to elogind. For the most part I've been avoiding ConsoleKit, but it was on my wife's computer, and on that machine ConsoleKit is gone and it's running elogind, too. The switchover was pretty well painless, for me. That said, I'm running raw window managers, not anything like KDE or GNOME.

A week or so back, apparently after a dirty shutdown on my laptop, I had to run fsck manually. But in the boot failure I saw console messages about MOUSE_PS2_SYNAPTICS_SMBUS and RMI4_SMB not being set. This laptop has a Synaptics touch pad, and it's been working somehow, but on my next kernel build I made the recommended changes. It's possible you're running your touchpad more "suboptimally" than I was.

One of these days I want to give Vulkan and Wayland a try, and elogind was an enabler for that experiment. In the meantime, elogind has been pretty much a non-event for me. Only noticeable thing is that my laptop suspends when I close the cover, with no additional work on my part to set up ACPI event stuff.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: