Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Arranging shipping of big stuff from another country..
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Arranging shipping of big stuff from another country.. Reply with quote

I am an electrical engineer, both as job and as hobby. But in different areas of electrical engineering. Well, my hobby invloves elecromechanics, and the more i grow up, comes the interest for big stuff..

And now came the first time, when i will be interested in actually purchasing a couple fairly big machines, second hand from a factory in a different country

Fairly big means that i will need a shipping container.

I am in Israel.

The machines are in Switzerland (Zurich).

Whenever i wanted to ship something locally, i would call a truck driver / crane operator (of the crane that's on the truck) i know from town, and he would come and move stuff as needed, for reasonable prices, doing excellent job. Bonus, i would take the ride with him to supervise myself the loading and unloading, and help as necessary

This time, i will have to order actions to be done "remotely", before the stuff arrives to my country...

I imagine it will be :

Buy a shipping container

Arrange to get it to the factory from which i buy the equipment

Arrange for people to load the machines into the container (the factory does not have the needed people)

Arrange for it to be delivered to a sea port (possibly through more than one country in the EU), loaded on a ship and sent towards here

So, i am looking for - How do i get started ? How to find people/company for doing each task ? What are the costs ? Can containers be leased form some container company (that will take the empty container back so i won't have to pay the cost of the container / have to sell it off myself ?)

Also, from my experience over here, any "company" you call will ask for at least 5 times as much money as my local truck guy, while doing poorer job. And he is not cheap - but is fair. Therefore, i am looking for personal contacts

Any suggestions welcome
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding shipping containers, that will likely depend on your market. In some scenarios, they almost never go back (because not much goes back to China that would need to be in a shipping container).

Based on basic shipping experience, you're most likely going to need a "broker" or some kind of handler, depending on what you might call that in Israel. You could check with customs. If nothing else, they might be willing to tell you what to look for in general terms. You could also check which businesses operate in or around a port.

You could check with major carriers to see if they have anything helpful to offer (probably not). After that, I'd look for anything related to international shipping. A trucking company which does business in multiple countries for example.

You could also look into companies that will ship automobiles internationally. That's somewhat common, so may not be too difficult to find.

I've heard of brokers in Hong Kong, but I've not personally dealt with any.
erm67
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not easy reach Switzerland with a ship ... unless it flies; better by train/intermodal:

http://www.sbbcargo-international.com/en/intermodal-transport.html

http://www.sbbcargo-international.com/en/contact.html

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's simple. You ask the company who is selling you the equipment to ship it to you. They will select (and pay) a shipping carrier to do it. The carrier will break the job down into the various tasks/modes etc. and give a price to the company. The company will, or course, pass the cost on to you, probably with some margin.

If you don't want to pay the margin, then you make the arrangement with a carrier yourself. You need one who can handle international multimodal transport and customs. Call DHL there in Israel and start asking questions to see if they can set the whole thing up for you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: