Issues after updating @world set on PPC install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Irontooth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Issues after updating @world set on PPC install Reply with quote

I am installing Gentoo on a G3 PowerBook (Firewire) - aka Pismo - just looking to extend the life of this beloved bit of hardware.

I am a Gentoo newbie, and am working my way through the installation with various minor questions that I have resolved so far with the Handbook and some trial and error. However, I ran into some issues that have me stumped after updating the @world set. Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to display the information on my screen other than a photo of the screen, and I don’t see a way to attach an image to a post, so here goes with hand-typing what I see:

1) Immediately after the list of packages and Total: statement, there is the following:

Code:
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (See “package.use” in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1::gentoo
# required by sys-auth/polkit-0.115-r2::gentoo
# required by gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.105-r1::gentoo
>=dev-lang/python-2.7.15:2.7 sqlite

Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]

I responded with ‘y’ with the following result:

Code:
Autounmask changes successfully written.

I thought this meant that the issue was resolved, but after the text for Problem 2 (below), there appears the following:

Code:
* In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
* due to the above autounmask change(s). The —autounmask-backtracking=y
* option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
* guarantee it that it will produce a solution.

My questions are:

A) Did the immediate problem get resolved automatically, as it would appear from the text?
B) Should I invoke the —autounmask-backtracking=y option, and if so, could someone supply step-by-step instructions how that is done?

2) Immediately after the text stating that Autounmask changes were successfully written, the following appeared:

Code:
* IMPORTANT: config file ‘etc/portage/package.use/releng/no-filecaps’ needs updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
* section of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.

I looked at the man page, but for the life of me can’t figure out how those sections would help with this concern, as in my mind they are generalized and provide no actual instructions.

The following is what I get when I cat the ‘no-filecaps’ file:

Code:
# For stage building, we cannot be sure the final unpack destination will have
# xattr/fcaps support. To be safe, we build stages without filecaps, but allow
# filecaps to be turned back on @ next full world upgrade. The ebuilds using
# fcaps eclass will have more logic to safely fall back in case of missing
# support.

*/* -filecaps

I gather the uncommented line is to be altered, but specifically what changes are to be made, and how is that done? Can I simply edit the file to change the line to whatever it is supposed to be, or is there a tool to be used? I can find no reference to the ‘no-filecaps’ file in the Handbook nor in any of the forums or other documentation I have searched.

Explanation and specific instructions are welcome.

Thanks,
- Don

BTW - I made the mistake of updating the @world set a second time and got a message at the end to the effect of (not exact quote):

IMPORTANT: There are 2 config files in ‘etc/portage’ that need updating.

Informative...
Hu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Issues after updating @world set on PPC install Reply with quote

Irontooth wrote:
I am installing Gentoo on a G3 PowerBook (Firewire) - aka Pismo - just looking to extend the life of this beloved bit of hardware.
This is not a great choice for your first Gentoo install. We will help as best we can, but you would be better off practicing on something a bit less exotic, then moving to the Powerbook when you are more comfortable. Fortunately, you have not yet hit any problems specific to PPC systems.
Irontooth wrote:
Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to display the information on my screen other than a photo of the screen, and I don’t see a way to attach an image to a post
Images are not directly supported. You could post the image to an image-hosting or file-hosting service and link to it here. However, when people do post images, they are usually advised not to do that since images are space-inefficient, not searchable, and often less readable than text files.
Irontooth wrote:

Code:
Would you like to add these changes to your config files? [Yes/No]
I responded with ‘y’ with the following result:
Code:
Autounmask changes successfully written.
I thought this meant that the issue was resolved, but after the text for Problem 2 (below), there appears the following:
It means that autounmask successfully staged the changes for you to manually merge into your configuration files. As a general hint, I will quote from a prior warning I posted about autounmask:
Hu wrote:
Autounmask should be viewed purely as a labor-saving alternative to writing the entry to the file by hand. If you need to perform an unmask, letting autounmask write it for you is fine. The problem is if you let it write an unmask entry that you shouldn't write at all, such as unmasking a hard masked package without a clear reason why you need to unmask that package instead of some other solution. Only unmask / change keywords / change USE flags when you can explain why that is the right solution. Never make a change solely because Portage suggests it; it suggests the most expedient path to whatever it thinks you want, which may not always be what you actually want.
Irontooth wrote:
A) Did the immediate problem get resolved automatically, as it would appear from the text?
No.
Irontooth wrote:
B) Should I invoke the —autounmask-backtracking=y option, and if so, could someone supply step-by-step instructions how that is done?
No, that is probably not the right solution. If you want to do it anyway, just add that as a command line parameter to emerge.
Irontooth wrote:
2) Immediately after the text stating that Autounmask changes were successfully written, the following appeared:
Code:
* IMPORTANT: config file ‘etc/portage/package.use/releng/no-filecaps’ needs updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
* section of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.
I looked at the man page, but for the life of me can’t figure out how those sections would help with this concern, as in my mind they are generalized and provide no actual instructions.
Portage wants you to resolve changes to a configuration file. One way to resolve those changes is to use one of the tools listed in CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS, since those tools will walk you through the resolution process.
Irontooth wrote:
The following is what I get when I cat the ‘no-filecaps’ file:
That file probably should not be present at all. According to its comment, it was necessary when building the stage, but it makes a change you don't want.
Irontooth wrote:
I gather the uncommented line is to be altered, but specifically what changes are to be made, and how is that done? Can I simply edit the file to change the line to whatever it is supposed to be, or is there a tool to be used? I can find no reference to the ‘no-filecaps’ file in the Handbook nor in any of the forums or other documentation I have searched.
Using a text editor is fine.
Irontooth wrote:
IMPORTANT: There are 2 config files in ‘etc/portage’ that need updating.

Informative...
The file merging tools will list all files to merge when you run them. You will then pick which file(s) to handle.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: