[SOLVED] firejail fails with --net
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpaddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] firejail fails with --net Reply with quote

I tried to follow https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s_EFI_Install_Guide/Sandboxing_the_Firefox_Browser_with_Firejail#setup_networking_openrc but when executing
Code:
env GTK_IM_MODULE=xim /usr/bin/firejail --x11=xephyr --name=firefox --net=br10 --profile=/etc/firejail/firefox.profile openbox --startup /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
the Xephyr display closes and I get
Code:
Error: only --net=none is allowed to non-root users
Taking that as a clue I tried
Code:
env GTK_IM_MODULE=xim /usr/bin/firejail --x11=xephyr --name=firefox --net=none --profile=/etc/firejail/firefox.profile openbox --startup /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox
which then "worked" but firefox had no net connection.

I'm too cowardly to execute as root... was one supposed to execute as root?!?

An easier question is: how does one use the search facility to search forums? When I search for firejail I get "Search found 256 matches" the first of which is
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1093302-highlight-firejail.html but that page does not contain "firejail" ... more generally I never (as far as I can recall) have been able to make the forum's search facility work (so I google instead) :oops:

Last edited by dpaddy on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the output of emerge --verbose --info sys-apps/firejail? As I read the equery use output, your results would be expected if you built with USE=network-restricted.

For search, I often see people suggest using a search engine (such as Google or DuckDuckGo) with a site-qualifier site:forums.gentoo.org to restrict the results to only this domain.
dpaddy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: network-restricted Reply with quote

Yes that flag was set (these tired old eyes are nearly useless).

Much appreciated :)
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness to your eyesight, it would be nice if the error message (Error: only --net=none is allowed to non-root users) had mentioned that the restriction is compile-time configurable. As currently phrased, it sounds like this is a hard technical limitation that would require source code improvements to fix. In truth, it's a policy decision that is set at compile-time. Perhaps if it had said Error: this build of Firejail only allows non-root users to set --net=none or to omit --net. To allow non-root users to use other forms of --net, rebuild Firejail without the configure flag --enable-network=restricted., you would have gone looking and found the answer without a forum post.

If you have a good way to report an issue to the Firejail developer, you might be able to save other people from this problem by asking the developer to improve the message. I am obviously partial to the phrasing I proposed above, but anything that clearly tells the user that this is a compile-time policy would be a nice improvement.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: