How to upgrade without internet?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcidp101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: How to upgrade without internet? Reply with quote

Hey guys!

I'm wondering how I can upgrade an environment without internet. I was thinking maybe I can compress certain portage folder/files in a tar.gz, then uncompress them back in the environment without internet, and run `emerge` from there, with the -K (--usepkgonly) flag, to only use the pre-built binary packages.

I currently understand how to ship binary packages and use install them with emerge. However, I don't know how to update the portage tree; in other words, do what `emerge --sync` would do if you had internet.

Do you guys know which files I'd need to merge and/or replace from the upgraded environment to the one without internet (say, using a USB), to update the portage tree and be able to fully upgrade my user land to the latest versions, using something like:

emerge --update --newuse --deep --with-bdeps=y --usepkgonly @world

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it would be a dilemma to download the ebuild tree. If you have access to the 'git' binary, you could clone https://git.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git on another machine and then tar it up. Or if you have rsync, you could also rsync rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage to a local machine. Hopefully that will get you the /usr/portage/ stuff.

Note that this can be quite large.

Then the unfortunate problem is that you need to do this in two steps. After you get the ebuilds, you need to put it on your Gentoo box, and then you need to emerge --fetch --pretend which will get you a list of URLs that you need to download as the source packages. Note that the URLs do not necessarily match the filename Portage expects it, so this is yet another source of issues (if the package can be downloaded from distfiles.gentoo.org, then the filename is correct.)

This can be quite a challenge if you can't connect your box to the internet somehow.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also download tree snapshot as tar.bz2 and uncompress it in /usr/portage
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcidp101,

You need sneakernet.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: