Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knees_of_torgo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard? Reply with quote

Current Chromium version: 85.0.4183.69

For a little while now Chromium ignores pasting from the system clipboard, either by keystroke or by the right click popup in a text/password field. It seems to maintain its own clipboard buffer, ignoring the system's when pasting (though a copy from Chromium does populate the system clipboard). This makes using a 3rd party password manager rather useless for pasting large password. Adding a 'Site Setting' for Clipboard=Allow still doesn't allow this. Is there a way to restore this behavior? Firefox along with everything else copies and pastes as expected.
gordonp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard? Reply with quote

knees_of_torgo wrote:

For a little while now Chromium ignores pasting from the system clipboard, either by keystroke or by the right click popup in a text/password field.

I experienced something similar; maybe this will help you:

I use Gnome 3.36.5 and for a few days also, I had weird problems pasting. There had recently been a large Gnome update, and apparently something took a hit... In almost every form, and most applications that I tried (beyond Chrome), pasting sometimes pasted ~something~, but not what I was trying to copy/paste :cry:

My pasting - whether by CTRL-V or CTRL-SHIFT-V (console), right-mouse context-paste, or middle-button paste - now all work. I traversed these menus:

Gnome -> Applications -> Utilities -> Tweaks -> Keyboard & Mouse

On this K & M panel, my "Middle Click Paste" was turned on (as it has been for years). I toggle it off-then-back-on.

That's all I did, and now all my pasting woes are solved! I just tried all the various pasting-methods in Chrome, and they all are working.

If you don't use Gnome, you may explore toggling some settings...
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, have started experiencing exactly what knees_of_torgo described.
It started with Chromium 85, though I do not recall which version I was on previously...not necessarily the previous Gentoo stable release...

I am using KDE, not gnome.

I created a bug: https://bugs.gentoo.org/741220
ippipp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I have KDE

chromium-83.0.4103.116 copy&paste worked properly.

after upgrading to 85.0.4183.83 copy&paste stopped working.

After restarting chromium copy&paste is ok short time but then it is broken again.
rickvernam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help from bugs.gentoo.org.

also, I am using X11. I tried under wayland with a new user account and I didn't encounter this problem. that could be wayland, or that could be the fresh user account.

next stop is looking at the chromium mailing lists or whatever they use - I might try to look at that later.
jarro_2783
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it's not just me. Middle click is completely broken. Copy from another program works the first time, then copying later always repastes the first thing.

Copying inside chrome seems to work, and highlighting in chrome and then middle clicking in another window seems to work fine too.

This seems to coincide with the latest major version update. However I had a mess with old nvidia drivers and upgraded a bunch of stuff and installed lots of other window managers to find something that worked (Mate broke on nouveau). So it might be related to something that Gnome 3 did, so first I'm uninstalling all this other stuff and disabling wayland to see if that helps.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem and use neither nvidia nor kde nor gnome nor wayland, but fvwm. (I have qt and gtk+, though.) Quite sure that this is a pure chromium bug.
knees_of_torgo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard? Reply with quote

knees_of_torgo wrote:

For a little while now Chromium ignores pasting from the system clipboard, either by keystroke or by the right click popup in a text/password field. It seems to maintain its own clipboard buffer, ignoring the system's when pasting (though a copy from Chromium does populate the system clipboard). This makes using a 3rd party password manager rather useless for pasting large password. Adding a 'Site Setting' for Clipboard=Allow still doesn't allow this. Is there a way to restore this behavior? Firefox along with everything else copies and pastes as expected.

So far good news! I emerged www-client/chromium-86.0.4240.22 overnight and so far pasting now works as expected, both Ctrl-V and middle mouse button.
gorg86
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard? Reply with quote

Quote:
So far good news! I emerged www-client/chromium-86.0.4240.22 overnight and so far pasting now works as expected, both Ctrl-V and middle mouse button.

Can you post your useflags pls?
In some older build when I compiled chromium with wayland (which pulled in ozone too) I had the clipboard bug too, both in a Wayland and X11 session. When I compiled without wayland support everything was normal again.
Apparently now with 86.0.4240.30 useflags changed, there is ozone, ozone-wayland and wayland :roll:

edit:
I emerged chromium-86.0.4240.30 with ozone -ozone-wayland, it works. I didn't try with ozone-wayland enabled though.
knees_of_torgo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chromium now ignores pasting from system clipboard? Reply with quote

gorg86 wrote:
Quote:

Can you post your useflags pls?
In some older build when I compiled chromium with wayland (which pulled in ozone too) I had the clipboard bug too, both in a Wayland and X11 session. When I compiled without wayland support everything was normal again.
Apparently now with 86.0.4240.30 useflags changed, there is ozone, ozone-wayland and wayland :roll:

edit:
I emerged chromium-86.0.4240.30 with ozone -ozone-wayland, it works. I didn't try with ozone-wayland enabled though.

I do have 'wayland' and 'ozone' in my USE flags but I run plain KDE (so far, haven't really played with Wayland yet).

My full USE flags:
Code:
ozone xvfb egl gles2 wayland server io-uring aio elogind -consolekit -ocaml graphite -systemd clang widgets -gnome-online-accounts -flickr -jumbo-build ruby_targets_ruby27 fpm -doc mount -libav libaom openssl lirc zvbi tk -webkit legacy-systray designer xrandr vdpau dri glamor aften dcaenc faac ffmpeg gnome-keyring nss nss* gnome opencl opencl* fdk -systemd hwaccel pulseaudio ldap xinerama icu alsa usb savedconfig gtk3 gtk qt5 -qt4 gpu-accel smp java vlc gstreamer mpeg twolame x265 X avcodec faad avformat lua sftp vpx encode mp3 sdl truetype x264 opus fribidi amr ogm gui mng pvr drm asm mjpeg vlc cdio cpudetection gme kvazaar network openh264 schroedinger webp zeromq zimg dxva2 directx dbus gmp-autoupdate jemalloc startup-notification sqlite cli apache2 xml mysqli pdo iconv gd hash zlib readline bcmath bzip2 calendar ctype inifile mhash pcntl posix soap sockets ssl sysvipc threads tokenizer xmlrpc ipv6 arping cycles secure-delete
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 85.0.4183.102, I removed ozone from my useflags (and did not add the new ozone-wayland), and it seems to work now. Perhaps it would work in the new version with ozone and/or ozone-wayland as well, but I haven't tried.
jarro_2783
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest 86 version worked for me. Although now with the dvorak keyboard layout, all of the ctrl+key shortcuts use qwerty :|
jarro_2783
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest 85 with -ozone works well too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: