Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xdarma wrote:
Naib wrote:

What are peoples views? add to the wiki any requested packages. These should be classified as in: must have, nice to have, if there is room.

The page was deleted. No room for new projects? :?
My wishes:
must have: sys-apps/memtester, sys-apps/dmidecode, app-benchmarks/cpuburn
nice to have: sys-process/htop
if there is room: (a calculator)

The page was moved under my username
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xdarma wrote:
Naib wrote:

What are peoples views? add to the wiki any requested packages. These should be classified as in: must have, nice to have, if there is room.

The page was deleted. No room for new projects? :?

No it was moved: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/User:Naib/RescueCD
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me pokes Naib in the talk page.

Maybe move this discussion there?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I'm interested in this project. I can help with my little hands and low free time.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So two ways to go about this

1) build a totally new project built from releng liveCD
2) reproduce the last sane systemRescueCD and improve from there ( update )

#1 has the option to regenerate from scratch rather than relying on a further outdated seed
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of partial to option 1.

The goal should be to have something that can replace sysrescuecd with similar pkgs and abilities, not necessarily duplicate it per se.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

#1 has the option to regenerate from scratch rather than relying on a further outdated seed
Keep it simple seems like a good first step. Reproduce the same last version 5 of SRCD. Maintain that (with version bumps, security updates, etc.), then decide what the goals of the new project are. Personally, I just want what it was: a means to an install or resolving a problem.
Massimo B.
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad news, today I lost my favourite rescue system. All the rest has already been said here, and I can't understand the decision either, agree with mv that they should at least publish an explanation instead of a simple Changes list.

Switching to systemd or dropping 32bit is all acceptable, 32bit people could still get some separate 32bit ISO. But switching the Distro with all the infrastructure is a big step. I wasn't even able to restart the sshd without Arch knowledge, eventhough I know a bit systemd from OpenSuse.

Interesting idea to fork another Gentoo based systemrescuecd. Looking at the available Gentoo boot media, Minimal I didn't use for many years, Admin CD I didn't know (is that just having some more tools than Minimal?), and LiveDVD, isn't that a good replacement as rescue system?

I remember using OpenSuse TW live sometimes before which was solving some issues on machines where I wasn't able to boot anything else. One machine (HP Elitebook) wasn't able to boot from USB, just freezing. systemrescuecd on SD card was failing but OpenSuse was running fine there. One other advantage, the system is completely rw, can be extended, updated and maintained inside. IIRR just the kernel wasn't possible to be updated from that running ISO. This is easy to configure a sshd and keep the configuration every start. Is that possible on the Gentoo LiveDVD as well?

Some years before I was using Knoppix as rescue system. grml I was also testing a while but this was often outdated, though still maintained. And I'm not the Debian expert.

Old systemrescuecd <6.0 was at least able to emerge missing things which saved my day when I needed newer btrfs-progs. But those things are lost every reboot.

For maintaining or repairing my btrfs machines, my requirements for a live ISO are recent tools and kernels. Window Manager and a functional Web browser is nice and I'm fine with something small like Xfce, which is my daily main desktop anyway.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Naib wrote:

Keep it simple seems like a good first step. Reproduce the same last version 5 of SRCD. Maintain that (with version bumps, security updates, etc.), then decide what the goals of the new project are. Personally, I just want what it was: a means to an install or resolving a problem.

Haha :) splits.

I personally would like to see such a project built from scratch HOWEVER, there is benefit in just getting what existed, updated

How's this
1) get sysrescueCd and recreate the last Gentoo version
2) update this
# this is essentially what Neddy advocates
3) this is maintained for a period
4) in parallel the releng base is augmented and lessons learned from sysrescueCd incorporated.

Anyone have a link to sysrescueCd build process, I can aim to get a build done soom
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I tested some weeks ago to extract the SystemRescueCD root and update it to ~arch (yeah), but it failed. Seems the base system is quite outdated, only the needed tools are upgraded.

I guess starting from a blank template and inject SRCD's world file would be more productive.
Cuong Nguyen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I can share my sysrcd.dat that I compiled with gcc-8.3.0 in 2 version -Os and -O3 CFLAGS
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xaviermiller wrote:
Hi!

I tested some weeks ago to extract the SystemRescueCD root and update it to ~arch (yeah), but it failed. Seems the base system is quite outdated, only the needed tools are upgraded.

I guess starting from a blank template and inject SRCD's world file would be more productive.
That was my fear. Neddy and Pjp have a good point that getting something up is viable BUT the releng build is sane, adding the needed packages is easy.

its the little tweaks that might take a few builds to get working.
I wonder if that is why they abandoned gentoo, it got too hard due to a step change somewhere. unless you deal with gentoo daily/weekly suddenly hitting a perl update issue could be daunting.

ill look at the sysrec.dat to see how involved it is to do a stop-gap update while looking at reproducing releng minimalCD ( catalyst -f stage1.spec && catalyst -f stage2.spec && catalyst -f stage3.spec is running right now)
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of me wants to model this in sysml. There are plenty of USE cases that will drive requirements

"needs to be small" -> the gcc optimisation -0s shall be used, minimal USE flags to be used
"needs to permit creating newer filesystems" -> btrfs tools, zfs tools shall be included
what stakeholders exist? what type of end-users?
xaviermiller
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, let's go to the Catalyst way.

I will try to build a ~32 bits live system (at least live USB, I don't use CD anymore) with 32 and 64 kernels, syslinux, refind and EFI support on the 64 bits kernel.
One kernel pair for now

+ maybe some other tools as freedos, memtest86+, ... but later

regarding the size, I don't care too much, we can also optimize the squash compression (xz for example) so we can store more tools.
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I build my own "Rescue System" on a 2 TB USB for my personal requirements. 64 bit, Dos Partition, Xfce, Firefox, MC, Debugger, etc. Still use it fix problems, backup my various laptops and new installations.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
xaviermiller wrote:
Hi!

That was my fear. Neddy and Pjp have a good point that getting something up is viable BUT the releng build is sane, adding the needed packages is easy.
My main point was more about not getting bogged down in lengthy discussions. If the SRCD build process is broken, so be it. Targeting functionality closely resembling that of SRCD seems like a good first goal. I didn't even know it had a GUI, so that could be a future release, making it even easier (:
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
I didn't even know it had a GUI, so that could be a future release, making it even easier (:

Wow! From the beginning I used the GUI to read the Gentoo Installation Manual. Later I used gparted to build partitions.
Over the years there have been several web browsers. I remember Midori was rather nice. Most recently they are on Firefox.
There always was a RedHat software bias, that probably explains why they have now gone to systemd. The 64-bit only part is not surprising either, Gentoo is drifting there
and honesty, all desktop and laptop processors are 64 bit now. They probably don't care about arm.

This link is interesting. It says SRCD is derived from the Gentoo LiveCD http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/SystemRescueCd-2-5-0-drops-Firefox-1440423.html
Wikipedia is interesting too. I love this quote:
Quote:
Starting with version 6.0, it uses controversial systemd as its init system, and due to the bloat added to adapt systemd it can no longer be fitted on one standard-sized CD.
The GUI has also changed over the years:
Quote:
Xfce (previously JWM and Window Maker)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
pjp wrote:
I didn't even know it had a GUI, so that could be a future release, making it even easier (:

Wow! From the beginning I used the GUI to read the Gentoo Installation Manual.
The couple of times I recall not having the luxury of a second system, I've made a "quick install guide" before beginning the installation (including details about critical hardware). I try to get a minimal system on the network as quickly as possible. Some day I'll make my own binary installer. I'd rather tell a small build to recompile for different USE flag settings than muck around with manual installation. I just do it so rarely that it still remains a project for some day.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I always forget little things like making a user, assigning the user to groups, getting a standard group of init scripts installed with rc-update. That's what the old GUI installer was good for, providing a visual checklist of those things. I confess I like gparted, but gdisk is working OK for me now that I no longer use a separate /boot and usually no swap partition either,. Re swap, I either have sufficient RAM or I build a swapfile inside root.
tezenhk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always enjoyed being able to strip down the SystemRescueCD iso for use with EFI stub kernel based systems, so would love the idea of something similar emerging from this community - equally strippable, configurable, minimalistic and of course Gentoo openrc based!

Stripped UEFI SRCD...

1. 'sgdisk -Z' to clean usb and set gpt partitioning
2. 'gdisk' to create a single '0700' type partition
3. 'mkfs.vfat -F32' to create a single filesystem
4. 'fuseiso' to mount the downloaded iso file then copy contents to usb
5. rename isolinux to syslinux and strip down as shown by tree output below
6. leave the boot/grub/x86_64-efi directory untouched
7. edit the grub configuration as needed

Code:
tezenhk@tezen /run/media/tezenhk/SRCD $ tree --charset=ascii -L 3
|-- boot
|   `-- grub
|       |-- efi.img
|       |-- font.pf2
|       |-- grub-532.cfg
|       `-- x86_64-efi
|-- efi
|   `-- boot
|       `-- bootx64.efi
|-- syslinux
|   |-- initram.igz
|   |-- maps
|   |   `-- us.ktl
|   `-- rescue64
`-- sysrcd.dat

Code:
tezenhk@tezen /run/media/tezenhk/SRCD $ cat boot/grub/grub-532.cfg
# SRCD Gentoo Based - UEFI

set timeout=0
set default=0
set gfxmode=auto
set gfxpayload=keep
insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga
insmod gfxterm
insmod videotest
insmod videoinfo
terminal_output gfxterm

menuentry "SRCD" {
  linux /syslinux/rescue64 \
    scandelay=5 \
    setkmap=us \
    quiet \
    noload=mei,mei_me,iTCO_wdt,iTCO_vender_support,kvm_intel,kvm,pcspkr \
    loadsrm=off nomdadm nodmraid \
    nonm nodhcp nonet \
    skipmount=/dev/nvme0n1 skipmount=/dev/nvme0n1p1 skipmount=/dev/nvme0n1p2 skipmount=/dev/nvme0n1p3 \
    skipmount=/dev/sda skipmount=/dev/sda1 \
    docache
  initrd /syslinux/initram.igz
}

Last edited by tezenhk on Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't done a clean Gentoo install in many years, a few weeks ago I downloaded the current systemrescuecd as I had many times before for the install environment. The changes led me to using a minimal install image on a thumbdrive to finish the install that I just did on an old unused laptop that I had come across. It got a minimal install, xfce, and no systemd. It's more of a nostalgia device than anything else.

After finding this thread I have downloaded the last Gentoo based version for posterity and possible future use. It has always been useful when I get drafted into chasing down not so obvious issues on ailing computers that belong to family and friends. Last one was a beta windows driver that my youngest had installed on his computer that looked suspisciously like failing hardware. After identifying the hardware as good the safari was relatively short.

I like the idea of a fast desktop to build binaries for any other Gentoo device that I may care to have. Keeping up a Gentoo based rescue system would also be in order. It's only time, and I have precious little for such dalliances.

I will be following your progress. Thanks in advance.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it isn't much but I have been able to reproduce the releng build process to make a minimal iso

Code:
/var/tmp/catalyst/builds/default] $ ll -h
total 264M
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 264M Mar  8 11:51 install-amd64-minimal-latest.iso

I just need to see if this boots in virtualbox and then I can look at adding a couple of additional packages to ensure how the spec works. Once that works more applications and services can be added and enabled.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib,

Its a big first step. Well done.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
I know it isn't much but I have been able to reproduce the releng build process to make a minimal iso
Assuming it boots, that is quite a lot. Adding preferred programs to the ISO should be relatively easy once you have the ability to compose new ISOs at will.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib,

Do you have somewhere to host your ISO?

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: