View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L29Ah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wrote a script for automatic installation of Gentoo install/admin "CD" on an USB flash stick, utilizing all the available space and compatible with both BIOS and UEFI systems: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/Guide#Automatic_drive-wide_installation
Would be happy with your testing and feedback.
Tony0945
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice and easy to read. One comment, though. Please add to "Verify the Loopback device support option in the kernel configuration has been enabled" The actual kernel CONFIG_ name. Menuconfig's layout changes over time and wiki articles last for many years. it is frustrating to be presented with a nice description of kernel options to select only to find that the layout is now completely rearranged and the English prompts are now different. The CONFIG_ name usually stays the same and the kernel can be checked by various means and the menuconfig backslash search command can be used to jump to the current location.

Well written and readable!
elkhunter
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Customrescuecd Reply with quote

custom82 wrote:
a system rescue cd now based on gentoo!
Fuck Arch Linux!

Gentoo Power!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/customrescuecd/files/

I downloaded this iso and put it on a usb stick running ventoy but it doesn't fully boot. It starts to boot them drops to a shell with a "CRC not found" message (which is very difficult to read with light red text on a grey background). I have the sysrecuecd 5.3.2 iso on the same stick and it boots fine as does an artix (non-systemd arch linux) iso. Any ideas why this wouldn't work with ventoy? And do you have a list of the differences between this image and sysrescuecd 5.3.2? It's much larger so I assume it contains more packages but is there a list somewhere?
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L29Ah wrote:
Just wrote a script for automatic installation of Gentoo install/admin "CD" on an USB flash stick, utilizing all the available space and compatible with both BIOS and UEFI systems: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/Guide#Automatic_drive-wide_installation

Hi L29 - thanks for doing this, I got a bootable usb stick for my desktop machine from it with no probs, I even managed to modify it to automatically select a uk keyboard and connect to wireless. My desktop is a relatively modern UEFI, gpt-speaking machine.

Haven't succeeded with one for my home server, which is an old machine that doesn't understand GPT disks (32-bit Atom processor, so also slooooooow). Syslinux starts off fine, says it is going to boot from the local disk in 15 seconds, but they says that it can't find a bootable disk and hangs.

I am going to try making a syslinux-only one manually using the one your script produced as a template.

ETA I was using the X86 Admin CD image and created it on the server itself, so it should all be 32-bit where needed.
L29Ah
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyspoke wrote:
L29Ah wrote:

Hi L29 - thanks for doing this, I got a bootable usb stick for my desktop machine from it with no probs, I even managed to modify it to automatically select a uk keyboard and connect to wireless. My desktop is a relatively modern UEFI, gpt-speaking machine.

Haven't succeeded with one for my home server, which is an old machine that doesn't understand GPT disks (32-bit Atom processor, so also slooooooow). Syslinux starts off fine, says it is going to boot from the local disk in 15 seconds, but they says that it can't find a bootable disk and hangs.

I am going to try making a syslinux-only one manually using the one your script produced as a template.

ETA I was using the X86 Admin CD image and created it on the server itself, so it should all be 32-bit where needed.

I was using SeaBIOS with qemu to test BIOS boot, as it's the only BIOS "system" i have to test on. If you can manage to get it working on your BIOS, on SeaBIOS (default qemu invocation) and on UEFI (to test with qemu, emerge sys-firmware/edk2-ovmf and add `-bios /usr/share/edk2-ovmf/OVMF_CODE.fd` to the invocation) at the same time, it would be awesome.
greyspoke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have sorted the immediate issue L89 - it is in fact two issues, neither of which are down to your script but rather to the idiosyncracies of my BIOS.

Firstly the syslinux.cfg has
Code:
ontimeout localhost
and
Code:
label localhost
  localboot -1
  MENU HIDE
The syslinux documentation warns that localboot does not work on all BIOSes - and mine is one of them. (This ought to result in "a different local boot method" if nothing it selected after the timeout.) I am not sure how useful a default this is tbh, presumably if you have plugged in a bootable disk and rebooted, it is because you want to boot from that disk and not in the usual way. But that comes from the syslinux.cfg on the .iso file, not your script.

Secondly, my usb keyboard was not being recognised, although both the BIOS stage and gentoo when it booted from the usb stick did recognise it.

The combination left me staring at a screen saying "press any key or..." in some frustration!

Commenting out the ontimeout setting in syslinux.cfg got the thing to boot after the timeout period and plugging in a PS/2 keyboard meant I could select a kernel to boot. I have now discovered that on some old BIOSes it is necessary to set "Enable legacy USB support" otherwise USB keyboards are not recognised during the boot process (ie after the BIOS has handed over to something else presumably, as it is recognised when fiddling with the BIOS settings). Of course my BIOS is one of these as well. There is an upgrade available (dated 2008...), I may give it a go.

So your script worked fine, but my cranky old server needed some tweaking.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: