Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
What's the simplest STEAM installation for a newbie?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: What's the simplest STEAM installation for a newbie? Reply with quote

Background: my PC's power supply went bad, and the new one was ~500W bigger than the old. So I finally get around to a new video card (Radeon RX570). And it comes with 2 free games (or will be when they're released Real Soon). But the PC has only Windows Vista 32 bit, and anyway I hate booting that. So, I read the Gentoo wiki article on Steam.

Luckily I run a multilib installation, but it's pruned down to pnly 32 abi_x86_32 packages. Going via the steam-overlay for steam-meta, I find it wants another 28 (3)2-bit packages, one of which is LLVM. Oh joy; that would be like back in the old days watching Gentoo compilations for hours :-(

Given I have some spare disk space, and don't really want to mix business with pleasure, I see several alternatives that might let me run games without one or more of (a) recompiling loads of libraries and (b) installing something that brings duplicate libraries of somewhat uncertain quality:

1. I looked briefly at the chroot option, which IIUC is a thin version of installing under LXC, not sure if that cuts the installation/maintenance compilations. (And would using LXC be better - I looked at it ages ago, but never actually got around to setting it up.)
  2. Flatpak looks interesting, if its result would be properly segregated from the rest of my Gentoo setup - but I don't see much discussion on the forums, so perhaps it's a bit bleeding edge.
  3. I might have space to install a separate Ubuntu, which would (a) keep everything separate; (b) it's what Steam officially supports (though I'd prefer Arch); and (c) no compilation, but I expect a load of stuff I don't want.
  4. From what I've read, the free games will actually probably only run under Proton, which IIUC is slightly different packaging of Valve's customized Wine. I assume that has very similar 32bit requirements.

Any comments and recommendations please!

As an aside, while digging around this stuff, I wondered if moving to profile 17.1 might make Steam happier with Gentoo. The last I heard about it was the news item. Anyone know if it's still alive/relevant/useful?
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should install Ubuntu and then run Steam there.

I think, this would be a good choice.
Juippisi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just enable ABI_X86="64 32" globally and do a rebuild. Steam works like a charm with that.

If you're concerned about build times, then leave them in the background when doing something else. Or overnight. Or if you don't like compiling at all, maybe do the c) ubuntu install. LLVM is a big package, but luckily it doesn't update often at all.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest is a flatpak

Otherwise I would advocate the "manual", IE download the script and run it.
Do not add the overlay... In the long run this causes issues.

I would make a steam set to pull in the dependencies though
Juippisi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

What kind of issues? Never had any and been using that overlay for years.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
Naib wrote:

What kind of issues? Never had any and been using that overlay for years.
look at two packages it also provides. It's not just steam, it's packages provided by gentoo.

Overlays are great BUT the moment they start duplication (and not keeping those libraries upto date) they can add another level of gentoo maintenance.

It is really easy todo the "manual"
1) download
2) run
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

had steam installed from overlay, since the overlay became a thing.

no issues
kajzer
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, been using it for years, never had issues.
Never noticed any package from that overlay, wonder what those two packages are.
Perhaps maybe if you enable some specific USE flags for adobe-air or something, if some game needs that.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, installed it from the overlay, too, works really well.
on my "productive" box i used an additional btrfs-subvol, on two older ones i just added the overlay and recompiled some things.
used to run steam under wine which miraculously stopped working some time (months) ago, the overlay seems a much better solution (though i do not "game" very much.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: