View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gen3Hunna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 am    Post subject: compton interfering ... with audio?? Reply with quote

I just installed compton on my MATE desktop. Kind of annoyingly hard to get working satisfactory with nvidia drivers but whatever.

Here's the thing, I don't have [compton] set to auto-start when I log in. I'm making sure compositing is off in MATE. If I log in to my account (which I'm logging in from LightDM straight into the MATE session), start compton, and then start Firefox to a video stream/Youtube video/whatever, the audio in (whatever open application, in this case - Firefox) will not work. However, if I start Firefox with the Youtube stream and then start compton, it doesn't interfere.

Now, when I'm randomly killing and starting compton over and over again to check configuration updates, I hear the audio stream interrupted as I kill compton and then relieved or 'reinstated' as I restart compton. So there's definitely something between the two that's occurring. For now I don't care about this haphazard workaround. But I do want to have compton auto-start eventually and if compton starts before applications, audio stops working. So it's not really worth the trade-off, haha.

Man, I just find all the fun stuff :) but gentoo is so worth it
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use i3, not mate. Also, I don't use XDM or any XDM alternatives, I just startx, I have compton in my .config/i3/config file, it launches automatically, and I have no sound issues.

maybe mate is at fault? Or the combination of mate & compton.
Gen3Hunna
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still struggling to figure this out. Although after further troubleshooting it appears that my issue is more between Firefox and compton than compton and all audio. VLC will play video just fine in either described circumstance. So it's not affecting VLC, only Firefox. It's as if Firefox stops being capable of output. The little speaker icon on tabs is also not active when this occurs.

Will keep this updated if I can narrow it down further or if I solve it..
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: