View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erm67
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the diffusion of docker containers has very little to do with security, it is the final solution to classic developer excuse: 'it works well on my PC'. With docker the developer can actually install the app/program and distribute it with the guarantee that it works and has no dependency problem. Of course that is not exactly safe and the security features of docker should contain the danger of letting someone else (the developer maybe) install a program for you in a way that it is guaranteed to work.
What is really worrying is that recently some programs are distributed with a Dockerfile instead of the classic INSTALL.md markdown instructions :-), I mean, it's ok, I always read the Dockerfile and maybe edit and rebase it ..... if you complain the answer is there is a dockerfile use it .... if you say I don't use docker, read the dockerfile and follow the instructions , and well actually following the instructions in a docker file is not really different from blindly following the instructions in an INSTALL.md file.

It's terrific to think that https://www.linuxserver.io/ has already 1.7 BILLIONS pulls from docker hub ..... the actual number of linux users is probably underestimated if you count docker.

My fediverse account: @erm67@erm67.dynu.net
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: