Rust: Explain Some Things to Me
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Rust: Explain Some Things to Me Reply with quote

1. Rust's module system makes me want to get a hair transplant over my bald spot just so I can tear it out again. Why is "pub use" even a thing? Is there some better way I'm not seeing?

2. Why is error management kicking your collective asses so hard? "Define your own types, no wait, use error-chain...damnit wait no, you actually need to use failure...we think?" Part of what you guys seem to be getting tripped up over is backtraces. I will simply suggest that this does not belong in the error handling portion of a systems language. You should be building a debugger into the generated binaries for that. Unless...you guys really have it figured out this time?

Seeing everyone clamor over Rust makes me realize that one of two things is true:

1. Everyone else is insane, and I'm the only rational motherfucker in the room.
2. I'm the whackjob and need to be committed.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rust: Explain Some Things to Me Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
1. Everyone else is insane, and I'm the only rational motherfucker in the room.
2. I'm the whackjob and need to be committed.

The two are not mutually exclusive... :D
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust seems to have this persistent problem where ideas are 90% thought-out, but the last 10% that's missing is interoperability with the language. e.g. the standard Error trait is completely useless because you can't return it from a function because it doesn't implement the Sized trait. You have to pull in the failure crate so you can actually return errors. Another problem I just encountered is when using catch_unwind while calling a FFI, a panic still aborts your program.

Writing programs in Rust is like driving a car on a dirt road. You're going to be tossed around, get stuck in a ditch, have trouble getting over a hill, and have an overall bad experience. It's not even the borrow checker that's the cause of headaches; it's half-baked features.

Go is more like driving on a highway. It's smooth-sailing for the most part, but every once in a while, you'll get stuck in a 2-hour traffic jam.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
It's not even the borrow checker that's the cause of headaches; it's half-baked features.

++

C++20 is looking interesting with concepts and modules.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mardok45 wrote:
Rust seems to have this persistent problem where ideas are 90% thought-out, but the last 10% that's missing is interoperability with the language. e.g. the standard Error trait is completely useless because you can't return it from a function because it doesn't implement the Sized trait. You have to pull in the failure crate so you can actually return errors. Another problem I just encountered is when using catch_unwind while calling a FFI, a panic still aborts your program.

Writing programs in Rust is like driving a car on a dirt road. You're going to be tossed around, get stuck in a ditch, have trouble getting over a hill, and have an overall bad experience. It's not even the borrow checker that's the cause of headaches; it's half-baked features.

Go is more like driving on a highway. It's smooth-sailing for the most part, but every once in a while, you'll get stuck in a 2-hour traffic jam.

And also, have you noticed that the language uses traits to solve virtually everything? Why is AsRef a trait and not a core language feature?
Mardok45
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because Rust is an inclusive community that listens to all ideas.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: