View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolsantos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Cannot open DISPLAY Reply with quote

I have a problem starting i3 window manager on my Gentoo recentely installed. Every time I run the command i3, a message shows saying the DISPLAY Is not set or it doesn't exist, I don't remember. The same occurs with the xrandr, with it saying it cannot open display.

In Arch Linux, I use export DISPLAY=:0.0 before running the WM command and it works. In Gentoo, it doesn't work...

I have RADEON graphics with ATI and I believe I've had enabled the needed options in kernel to have a X environment, like Event Interface.

How may I solve this problem?

Thank you!
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi carolsantos,

welcome to the Gentoo forums!

Please read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/I3, especially section "Starting". There's no need to start i3 manually. People usually run "startx" and that will start the X server and i3.

Mike
carolsantos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Hi carolsantos,

welcome to the Gentoo forums!

Please read https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/I3, especially section "Starting". There's no need to start i3 manually. People usually run "startx" and that will start the X server and i3.

Mike

Hello, mike155!

Well, I've always followed the wiki, including the i3 section. I have installed the WM following that page.
The command I use to start i3 is only "i3".
mike155
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you run 'i3'? In the text console after you log in? In a xterm terminal window? Is the X server up and running when you run 'i3'?

The X server must be up and running before you can run commands like i3, xrandr or xeyes. Otherwise you will get the "cannot open DISPLAY" error message.
carolsantos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike155 wrote:
Where do you run 'i3'? In the text console after you log in? In a xterm terminal window? Is the X server up and running when you run 'i3'?

The X server must be up and running before you can run commands like i3, xrandr or xeyes. Otherwise you will get the "cannot open DISPLAY" error message.

I solved the problem installing packages like xorg-drivers, xorg-x11 and xorg-server.

However, thank you for trying to help me!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: