mysql server USE flag going away?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: mysql server USE flag going away? Reply with quote

I ran into a failure trying to compile dev-db/mysql-5.7.24 with the -server USE flag today. I ran into a similar failure the last time I updated, also an issue that only occurred with -server. I found this related bug:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/671722

According to that they're doing away with the server USE flag and apparently requiring a full server install even if all you need is the client stuff...as is the case on my MythTV frontend. I mean what the hell? As I pointed out in the bug, even binary ditros have client and server packages for that. It's getting to where every time I update something pisses me off to the point of about punching the wall, and it's starting to get real old </rant>.

Tom
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know... can you try completely removing mysql and mysql as a dependency in the ebuild, will that even compile? Does mythtv even use the mysql binary or libmysqlclient.so or does it have its own access routines?

Just some thinking out loud...
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about using mariadb instead, it builds with USE=-server.
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
You know... can you try completely removing mysql and mysql as a dependency in the ebuild, will that even compile? Does mythtv even use the mysql binary or libmysqlclient.so or does it have its own access routines?

Just some thinking out loud...
All good questions and to be honest I'm not completely clear...though it gets a little complicated. My guess is that most or all of the MythTV database access is via dev-qt/qtsql which has the mysql USE flag set. However the MythTV perl and python bindings use dev-perl/DBD-mysql and dev-python/mysql-python. To further complicate things, it appears that libmysqlclient.so is now provided by dev-db/mysql-connector-c, so I'm totally unclear as to what part the mysql package plays. Also note that the mythtv ebuilds have no distinction of a frontend only machine as apposed to a backend where you'd obviously have the database server.

My guess is that mysql will compile with -server with the patch attached to that bug, though I haven't tried it as yet.

Tom
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added come comments to that bug. I think that at one point dev-db/mysql provided the client libraries which now are provided by dev-db/mysql-connector-c by way of virtual/libmysqlclient-18. This means that mysql with -server rally just installs client programs like the mysql command line etc. While most packages that needs mysql connectivity such as dev-perl/DBD-mysql and dev-qt/qtsql only require virtual/libmysqlclient-18, I see that dev-python/mysql-python still requires virtual/mysql. Without a -server USE flag that would currently pull in a full server unnecessarily. So arguably there are some dependencies that should really change.

All that said however, even if mysql has nothing to do with the actual client libraries, I don't get why the ability to install just the cli stuff needs to be removed. That's been available forever (back to when it used the "minimal" USE flag) and again, other distributions all allow this.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: