After udev-240 update, no keyboard or mouse
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yzg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: After udev-240 update, no keyboard or mouse Reply with quote

Today I did emerge world update. After rebooting, the keyboard and mouse were not working.

Reviewing the packages which were included in the update, I found udev was updated to version 240.

I masked out that version, downgraded to 239. The keyboard and mouse were ok after rebooting.
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mention the mouse, so I assume you mean that they did not work in your graphical environment. What display environment are you using? Does your keyboard work on the Linux text console? What logs were written by the failed display environment? Did it record any errors related to your input devices? How do you normally configure those devices?
yzg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You mention the mouse, so I assume you mean that they did not work in your graphical environment. What display environment are you using? Does your keyboard work on the Linux text console? What logs were written by the failed display environment? Did it record any errors related to your input devices? How do you normally configure those devices?

It booted to the sddm login screen. I could not get into the text console or even ssh to the computer from another computer since ethernet was not working.

I'm using KDE. I did not find anything useful in the log.

I booted from gentoo cdrom, chroot-ed, downgraded udev and rebooted. Then everything started working again. I did not change anything else.

As for the question of why it failed, it is hard to find out because the computer is not accessible when it happens.

I will be interested to know if udev-240 worked for others.
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently experiencing exactly the same thing, I'm blocked out of my PC. I would include some diagnostic messages but that's made quite difficult by the nature of the issue... :(

EDIT: the keyboard works before X has started, so I managed to get openrc to fall back to interactive mode by smashing I during boot. I started everything except xdm, downgraded udev from the command line and now I'm golden. The network device was also missing, which I assume is also caused by udev malfunctioning?

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_mincing.shtml
yzg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See https://bugs.gentoo.org/673796
optiluca
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that related? I saw it before posting but it looked like something else.

http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_mincing.shtml
brokendreams
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im experience the same exact thing. Kernel 4.19.12. Openrc. Udev-240-r1 i get the lvm error too in the above linked bug report (disable udev flag on lvm2 solved that". But im still stuck with no working keyboard. This system is CLI only. udev-239 is fine. Downgraded ans masked 240-r1
molletts
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very much like the problem I had a few days ago, which coincided with the udev update, except that reverting to udev-239 didn't make any difference for me (it was the second thing I tried, after booting the last known good kernel).

I found that no modules were getting autoloaded, even when manually running udev-trigger, so the drivers for USB, HID, evdev, etc. were missing. Loading them manually after booting with the "nox" option got the system into a workable state to tide me over while I fixed the issue.

I took the opportunity to switch to eudev; that didn't seem to fix it immediately but after running emerge -uDN @world (I'd been away for a few days since the last update and figured that maybe something else was conflicting) everything was fine and has been OK since.
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for mentioning this bug. I will take this as pretext to switch over to eudev.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: