Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved]Please help: MATE woudn't start on new installation.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lesnik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: [Solved]Please help: MATE woudn't start on new installation. Reply with quote

I have decided to install the following configuration on a new computer: gentoo + systemd + mate desktop.

What profile should I have chosen during the installation? The following choices seemed appropriate:

Code:
default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop
default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/systemd   <- I have chosen this one
default/linux/amd64/17.0/systemd

Was my choice correct?

Anyway, after initial installation I have emerged mate-base\mate and x11-misc/lightdm packages (I had to turn-off the notification use-flag for mate-base\mate because of conflict, as mentioned at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MATE).

I have configured the system following the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MATE.

Now I reboot the system, lightdm starts successfully, I enter the password, push loing button, but mate wouldn't start: screen gets black for a second and I get back to lightdm login.

No errors reported at /var/log/Xorg.0.log during this process (these are the lines which appear during login attempt):
Code:
[  1863.158] (II) event1  - Power Button: device removed
[  1863.166] (II) event0  - Power Button: device removed
[  1863.179] (II) event2  - AT Translated Set 2 keyboard: device removed
[  1863.187] (II) UnloadModule: "libinput"
[  1863.199] (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.

However journalctl -f does report several problems:
Code:
Dec 23 14:06:23 nostromo gnome-session-c[3817]: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-obYRy6alTc: Connection refused
Dec 23 14:06:23 nostromo gnome-session[3798]: gnome-session-binary[3798]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.Shell'
Dec 23 14:06:23 nostromo gnome-session-binary[3798]: WARNING: Unable to find required component 'org.gnome.Shell'
Dec 23 14:06:23 nostromo gnome-session-binary[3798]: Entering running state
Dec 23 14:06:23 nostromo gnome-session-f[3863]: Cannot open display:
Dec 23 14:06:24 nostromo lightdm[3788]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session closed for user lesnik

I am not sure if any of the reported problems prevent mate session from start. I guess that the critical problem is that display id is empty - where should it come from?

Last edited by lesnik on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while I don't use systemd or lightdm, default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/gnome/systemd would probably work just fine, at worst it pulls in more gnome than you need (which isn't much)...

if you log into a vt as your user and run startx, does mate start then? another thing i would check is the groups your user is in...

Code:
chris@gazelle ~ $ id
uid=1000(chris) gid=100(users) groups=100(users),10(wheel),14(uucp),18(audio),27(video),35(games),101(wireshark),104(plugdev)

you probably at least want audio/video, if it turns out to be groups.
lesnik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clarifications, bunder!

I am in video and audio groups:

Code:
lesnik@nostromo ~ $ id
uid=1000(lesnik) gid=1000(lesnik) groups=1000(lesnik),10(wheel),18(audio),27(video),85(usb),100(users)

bunder wrote:
if you log into a vt as your user and run startx, does mate start then?

After I created ~/.xinitrc file:

Code:
$ cat .xinitrc
exec mate-session

I can startx manually! Mouse doesn't work though... but that's another problem.

And why can't lightdm start the mate? As I understand the only thing I have to do to configure lightdm to start mate is to create the following file (which I did as per the wiki instructions):
Code:
$ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
XSESSION="Mate"
fedeliallalinea
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Please help: MATE woudn't start on new installation. Reply with quote

lesnik wrote:
Was my choice correct?

gnome/systemd can work but conbining desktop and systemd profile is a better choice
lesnik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lesnik wrote:
And why can't lightdm start the mate? As I understand the only thing I have to do to configure lightdm to start mate is to create the following file (which I did as per the wiki instructions):
Code:
$ cat /etc/env.d/90xsession
XSESSION="Mate"

Problem solved, though I do not completely understand what I did wrong.

Well, first I fixed the problem with USB (I had to rebuild kernel with module xhci_hcd).

After that on lightdm login screen I was able to select x-session type (just for further reference: click on one of the icons on the top-right corner of the screen, menu with choices "Custom", "GNOME", "MATE", etc., select "MATE" item.) And that's it.

"journalctl -f" still reports some warnings (different than previously). Most sinister one:

Code:
Dec 23 20:40:11 nostromo org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[3118]: A connection to the bus can't be made

I guess I'll change profile as fedeliallalinea suggested.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: