Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do I need to apply a spectre/meltdown bios update?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Do I need to apply a spectre/meltdown bios update? Reply with quote

When spectre/meltdown was revealed, there was talk about bios updates, and the risk that they slowed CPUs down.
Then I got the impression that someone came up with a clever workaround (retpoline?) that could be applied on the compiler level.

My motherboard has a "beta" bios update that addresses spectre/meltdown, but MSI says they won't take it past "beta" because they consider the MB to old.

I'm hesitant to apply the update given that they won't call it by anything other than beta, though I barely know what they mean by that.

Can I safely get away without it, because the problem is solved by the compilier, so should I take the plunge?

I run a up to date kernel, as per this page: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Security/Vulnerabilities/Meltdown_and_Spectre
tholin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kernel has 5 different mitigations for the various speculation attacks.
  • spectre_v1 mitigation does not require any firmware update. Developers have to manually find and patch all vulnerable code.
  • spectre_v2 could in theory be mitigated with just retpoline but only if all code on the system is recompiled with retpoline (including UEFI firmware code). That is not going to happen so a firmware update is needed anyway.
  • meltdown is mitigated in software.
  • spec_store_bypass can only by mitigated by disabling the feature using the speculative store bypass disable flag and that requires firmware with support for that.
  • l1tf mitigation requires a firmware update if you use a virtual machine with Extended Page Table (EPT) enabled. You also need to disable hyper threading if your cpu supports it. Afaik the firmware update isn't needed if you don't use untrusted virtual machines.
The firmware that needs to be updated is the cpu's microcode. You can update that without flashing a new mobo bios.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Microcode
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: