Desktop problem with LXQt
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giocitta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Desktop problem with LXQt Reply with quote

Hi all, I need help for a problem I don't succeed to overwhelm. I installed without problems Gentoo on a EeePC 1000HA. It was a long (3 full days!) but proficuous exercise. Everything is correctly working from CLI. In a successive moment I installed LXQt-0.13.0, but if I login with startx everything works well, while if I login with lxdm or slim, the applications I call from menu do appear and disappear in a fly (first of all LXQt settings). Which could be the reason? What could I do? Many advanced thanks for a kind help.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mb check if user is in video group ?
Did u started startx as user or root ?
Try another window manager in lxqt control center ->session configuration (not sure what english name is - its my translation)
SDDM is working ok for me, but I think I was using slim for a while and it was ok also.

What u mean applications disappear on fly ? Do u mean they crash ? or mouse cursor or background under it diasappears ? Mb check what applications 'disappear' mb only those qt specific ?
giocitta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
Mb check if user is in video group ?
Did u started startx as user or root ?
Try another window manager in lxqt control center ->session configuration (not sure what english name is - its my translation)
SDDM is working ok for me, but I think I was using slim for a while and it was ok also.

What u mean applications disappear on fly ? Do u mean they crash ? or mouse cursor or background under it diasappears ? Mb check what applications 'disappear' mb only those qt specific ?

Sorry for my late answer, but a terrible snow storm crushed my adsl and telephone signal.
Yes, the user is in video group.
In lxqt control center there is no indication of window managers. Anyhow, I tried as login manager lxdm and slim. Nothing changed.
"Applications disappear on fly" means that a window appears on the desktop and immediately vanishes.

While controlling all my moves, I found that the selected profile I set while installing the base system was default/linux/x86//17.0 (stable). I changed to default/linux/x86//17.0/desktop (stable), and now I'm waiting to see what happens after "emerge --ask --verbose --deep --newuse --update @world" (many new packages are going to be installed and other recompiled). I'll keep you informed.

Many thanks for your suggestions.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check what applications crashes eg pure qt: are qbittorrent, cantata, smplayer + lxqt apps. If they are only to crash - then it might be caused by qt window style - eg u installed qt5ct and messed there, or some apps might crash with qtcurve style.
If all apps are crashing then eg could be caused by window manager, drivers ?

Try running few apps from terminal and see output. THere should be something useful.
giocitta
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mir3x wrote:
Check what applications crashes eg pure qt: are qbittorrent, cantata, smplayer + lxqt apps. If they are only to crash - then it might be caused by qt window style - eg u installed qt5ct and messed there, or some apps might crash with qtcurve style.
If all apps are crashing then eg could be caused by window manager, drivers ?

Try running few apps from terminal and see output. THere should be something useful.

Well, I fixed the profile, and every thing came back to a normal function. I think something was missing as regards qt.
Many thanks for your kind help.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: