Android phone backup
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Android phone backup Reply with quote

does anyone know of a linux application that ccan be used to backup an android phone on linux? Sure you can backup files pretty easily using MTP but I am looking for something that will backup contacts, text messages, and settings without uploading to google's cloud.
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Android phone backup Reply with quote

<3 wrote:
does anyone know of a linux application that ccan be used to backup an android phone on linux? Sure you can backup files pretty easily using MTP but I am looking for something that will backup contacts, text messages, and settings without uploading to google's cloud.

I use "Wifi File Transfer" on my phone, which turns the phone into an ftp server. Note that there are several apps in my play store with exactly that name. Mine has a mud brown background and orange wifi symbol on it. Oddly enough it's not currently in the play store. I hope it comes back. Anyway there are apps out there that do their thing without a ton of banner ads. This is one of them. It has software recommendations but it's a separate page you go to.

At any rate, once you turn that on (DO NOT leave it on!) go to your Linux box and use a sophisticated ftp client that can handle recursive synchronization while ignoring older files. There are lots, I won't taint your preferences.

You set up a sync folder, then use Wifi File Transfer and your ftp client to sync from phone to Linux. Ignore existing files with the same or newer date on the destination.

You can also do it the other way, from Linux to phone. Say you want to add music or something.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually use adb, though the backups it makes aren't good for much other than restoring to the same device.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use also some app like Super Backup & Restore
<3
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
You can use also some app like Super Backup & Restore

thank you this is working well. I have a Google Pixel phone and unlike my older android devices this one only allows backing up to google drive. So glad that is not my only option.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: