View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
There is no point in debating philosophy about monoculture fighter vs mission-specific fighter programs, because there should never be another manned fighter program
Wrong. Unmanned systems do not have the flexibility of a manned system and are simply not capable of taking over 100% of the missions. Automated systems have lag, AI problems, and reliability problems. If you send in a 100% remote control air force the enemy will simply use broad spectrum interference to render it useless. Or they simply take out your satellite. In sort, that thinking is highly flawed.

Its basically as absurd as arguing that infantry is obsolete because you can send in remote control tanks. They cannot do 100% of the tasks even with a remote human operator and are susceptible to a long list of issues due to the fact that they are unmanned. Including that a single person throwing a Faraday cage over the transmitter renders it helpless.

Manned aircraft are going to be a staple, even if primarily as drone control ships, for a very, very long time.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
There is no point in debating philosophy about monoculture fighter vs mission-specific fighter programs, because there should never be another manned fighter program
Wrong. Unmanned systems do not have the flexibility of a manned system and are simply not capable of taking over 100% of the missions. Automated systems have lag, AI problems, and reliability problems. If you send in a 100% remote control air force the enemy will simply use broad spectrum interference to render it useless. Or they simply take out your satellite. In sort, that thinking is highly flawed.

Its basically as absurd as arguing that infantry is obsolete because you can send in remote control tanks. They cannot do 100% of the tasks even with a remote human operator and are susceptible to a long list of issues due to the fact that they are unmanned. Including that a single person throwing a Faraday cage over the transmitter renders it helpless.

Manned aircraft are going to be a staple, even if primarily as drone control ships, for a very, very long time.

Blah blah blah... Bunch of denial. it doesn't matter that they can't take over 100% of the manned missions today, they will be able to within a few years and that's what we're talking about here. Unless, that is, a whole bunch of obstructionism in denialism prevents common Sense progress. Progress that will be made by your enemies probably instead of you. Also you have to define the missions in real terms. Tanks and trucks couldn't take over 100% of horse missions either. Think about it.

Also, who said anything about remote control?
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't tactically or practically. Your denial of that doesn't change that fact. A human interaction to fire weapons is essential to military accountability and isn't going anywhere any time soon. A drone cannot do that in real time without the control platform in theater. That platform is another aircraft.

No air force is even close to exploring 100% drone aircraft. Not even close. Integrating yes, but replacing no. The working assumption is that the next evolution of the battle field will be a fighter controlling a number of drones. The fighter would be practically invisible and the drones would be missile and sensor platforms feeding the control ship.

All military drones are in fact remote control to a greater or lesser degree. Calling them autonomous is simply not reality.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Human accountability is a luxury limited to unconventional, limited conflict. When the shit hits the fan, and Chinese AI-powered drones are mowing down anything airborne that's not them, that whit will go right out the window. The current state of things is an anomaly. Human accountability has been a very limited commodity since the bombardment of Constantinople and especially since World War I. If we limit ourselves to "war against terror" weapon systems, we are writing our own obituary. Besides, the truth is that human pilots are vastly inferior at target discrimination, timely engagement, and at taking the personal risks necessary to ensure precision engagement.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting a massive upgrade.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
It's getting a massive upgrade.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an F-35 thread, so here's a picture of an F-35B doing STO from what is probably the USS Wasp.

https://i2.wp.com/theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/F-35B-third-day-of-war.jpg?fit=1200%2C675&ssl=1

Loadout:

GBU-31 x2 (internal)*
AIM-120C x2 (internal)*
GBU-?? x4 (external)
AIM-9X x2 (external)

* Probably, but I can't see inside the weapons bays.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, didn't expect it to grow legs. I thought those interested would be reading this thread.

Believing I had supernatural powers I slammed into a brick wall.
I said hey, is this my problem? Is this my fault?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
This is an F-35 thread, so here's a picture of an F-35B doing STO from what is probably the USS Wasp.

https://i2.wp.com/theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/F-35B-third-day-of-war.jpg?fit=1200%2C675&ssl=1

Loadout:

GBU-31 x2 (internal)*
AIM-120C x2 (internal)*
GBU-?? x4 (external)
AIM-9X x2 (external)

* Probably, but I can't see inside the weapons bays.

8O

I didn't know Iwakuni had an F-35 squadron.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
I didn't know Iwakuni had an F-35 squadron.

It doesn't surprise me all that much, I'm sure the brass is tripping over itself to get them out to bases in every country in the JSF international partnership to show off progress so they don't cut their losses.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan lost an F-35 in the Pacific, and the US is in trouble if Russia or China find it first
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're at two losses now. That's considerably better than the F-16 and F/A-18, but more than we'd like.

I don't suppose it was fuel line trouble...
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Officials find debris from F-35 off Japan; pilot still missing

Believing I had supernatural powers I slammed into a brick wall.
I said hey, is this my problem? Is this my fault?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
pilot still missing

:cry:

Shark poop.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
pjp wrote:
pilot still missing

:cry:

Shark poop.
Godzilla poop.

The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Korea found a pilot.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-marine-corps-no-1-priority-for-the-f-35-involves-a-rough-landing-in-hot-environments/

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/supersonic-speeds-could-cause-big-problems-for-the-f-35s-stealth-coating/

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/a-fix-is-coming-for-a-problem-that-left-two-f-35-pilots-in-excruciating-pain/

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/inventory-management-failures-are-grounding-f-35-jets/

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/2019/06/12/when-the-f-35-blows-a-tire-it-can-set-off-a-chain-reaction-of-potential-failures/

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/hidden-troubles-f35/2019/06/12/two-f-35-partners-threatened-to-quit-the-program-heres-why-they-didnt/

Worth every penny
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: