High Resolution Timer - GDM boot loop
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:03 am    Post subject: High Resolution Timer - GDM boot loop Reply with quote

** Updated thread below **

If I enable High Resolution Timer Support in my kernel, (to enable KVM support), upon reboot my system gets stuck into a boot loop starting the X server with the nvidia module not initializing, due to;
Code:
Nov 28 11:33:48 system kernel: acpi_cpufreq: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:48 system kernel: nvidia_drm: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:49 system kernel: irqbypass: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:49 system kernel: nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:50 system kernel: nfnetlink: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:50 system kernel: bnep: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:33:51 system kernel: af_packet: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:34:20 system kernel: rpcsec_gss_krb5: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout
Nov 28 11:34:21 system /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[2594]: (EE) NVIDIA: Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module. Please see the
Nov 28 11:34:21 system /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[2594]: (EE) NVIDIA:     system's kernel log for additional error messages and
Nov 28 11:34:21 system kernel: nvidia: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

If I don't have High Resolution Timer Support enabled, my system boots fine. I found this ArchLinux post, to which the answer appeared to be;
Quote:
Your loaded kernel is outdated. The module rebuild was against 4.18.8 you are running 4.18.7. This usually happens if one doesn't ensure the /boot partition is properly mounted during an update.

I followed Sakaki's EFI Install Guide to configure my system for dual boot, and I use separate SSDs for Gentoo and Windows 10. I boot the Gentoo system from a USB key, but I also use Sakaki's tools for updating the system and kernel, so my assumption is that it's updating everything correctly. It's strange that this only occurs when enabling High Resolution Timer Support in my kernel. For the record, I don't think there's a version mismatch;
Code:
system ~ # uname -a
Linux system 4.19.5-gentoo #6 SMP Wed Nov 28 11:47:40 EST 2018 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8086K CPU @ 4.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
system ~ # modinfo nvidia
filename:       /lib/modules/4.19.5-gentoo/video/nvidia.ko
alias:          char-major-195-*
version:        415.18
supported:      external
license:        NVIDIA
depends:       
retpoline:      Y
name:           nvidia
vermagic:       4.19.5-gentoo SMP mod_unload modversions

Troubleshooting suggestions welcome..

Thanks..

Last edited by jasn on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your changes are affecting some kernel modules, so you must rebuild them and install them again in order for the modules to handle the changes you've made (make modules && make module_install)
And for external module, you must also rebuild them (for nvidia it's done with emerge -1 nvidia-drivers)
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Thanks for the prompt response krinn)

I believe that all of those steps are being performed. Sakaki's buildkernel tool performs the module rebuild and reinstallation as part of its automated process, and I always manually perform an emerge @module-rebuild after running buildkernel, which on my system rebuilds and reinstalls nvidia-drivers.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, someone is wrong, either the kernel that see and dismiss your modules because they doesn't match when they are or your tool (lame or badly use) that do shit.

on what you put your bet?
jasn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in error. My issue wasn't with a kernel - module version mismatch. (While searching through /var/log/messages errors, I mistakenly focused on those lines)

If I enable High Resolution Timer Support in my kernel, upon reboot my system gets stuck into a boot loop starting Gnome Display Manager, (works fine without it though). If I disable gdm, my system boots fine to the login prompt, after which I can login as my user and start gnome without issue. I thought it might be related to this issue, but after downgrading pam I still couldn't get gdm to load correctly with High Resolution Timer support enabled.

I've switched to lightdm which works as expected.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: