[SOLVED] rc-update: service 'net.eth0' does not exist
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neurohaox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] rc-update: service 'net.eth0' does not exist Reply with quote

Hello all, my first post here.

Code:

root #cd /etc/init.d
ln -s net.lo net.eth0
rc-update add net.eth0 default

I ran into problem with rc-update command

First of all I was following my first gentoo installation and yesterday I finished, but need to fix networking, and I have couple of questions.
So I saw network interfaces renamed from eth0 to enp4s0 and was fixing it, after learning that udev makes changes I did following:
Code:
touch /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules

and got my names back after reboot.

Found that we can also solve this problem by adding kernel parameters to /etc/default/grub
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX = "net.ifnames=0" but I guess I have to grubmkconfig next and I chose to use first method. (Would be nice if someone pointed out how to make it this way with grubmkconfig part)

Anyway I made it, but got couple of questions:

Code:
ln -s net.lo net.eth0

This makes sort of a (shortcut / alias / pointer) named net.eth0 which points to net.lo?
Why do we need this at all?

Inside of /etc/init.d/ I have net.eth0 file pointing to net.lo which is red. Why it's red and if this is correct? Could someone point me to where I can read about default convention that's on gentoo?

ifconfig shows now eth0 interface correctly but im missing something obviously because when I try:
Code:

I get:
Code:
rc-update: service 'net.eth0' does not exist

And finally I somehow have working internet connection, ip link says eth0 up and running, but how does it start if
service is not set up (rc-update failed)? I think I installed later dhcpcd, but need to understand how things work before I start to setup wireless connection.

This is contents of
/etc/conf.d/net
dns_domain_lo="homenetwork"
config_eth0="dhcp"

Last edited by Neurohaox on Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJM
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: rc-update: service 'net.eth0' does not exist Reply with quote

Neurohaox wrote:

Inside of /etc/init.d/ I have net.eth0 file pointing to net.lo which is red. Why it's red and if this is correct? Could someone point me to where I can read about default convention that's on gentoo?

I'm guessing it's red because /etc/init.d/net.lo doesn't exist... ( ls -l /etc/init.d/net.lo ? )

That's provided by netifrc on my system, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netifrc
Neurohaox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: rc-update: service 'net.eth0' does not exist Reply with quote

AJM wrote:

I'm guessing it's red because /etc/init.d/net.lo doesn't exist... ( ls -l /etc/init.d/net.lo ? )

That's provided by netifrc on my system, see https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Netifrc

That's correct, I deleted it accidentally. How do I fix this?

Edit: got it
Code:
emerge --ask net-misc/netifrc
etc-update

Worked and got:
Code:
service net.eth0 added to runlevel default

But why was my internet working while this wasn't set?
Update: Because there also was dhcpcd daemon installed.

Thanks AJM for initial help!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: