View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: [Rewritten] GDM broken after xorg update Reply with quote

So I have been able to collect my thoughts a bit better. Here is the current situation.

CORE PROBLEM: gdm doesn't start after failing to load user-runtime-dir@115.service. On top of this the log in manager doesn't work properly anymore either (unable to log in when laptop goes to sleep and screen just flips out).

The laptop I am using gentoo on is a MSI ghost pro 4k gs60 with an optimus set up for its graphics card that I don't use (the system runs on its intel integrated gpu). Incomes the xorg 1.20.3 update which flips my entire system upside down.
As per this guide did I set up my desktop environment https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd/Installing_Gnome3_from_scratch.
I know a lot of people aren't a fan of systemd due to its many security flaws but it was quick and easy to set up and since this laptop is the only machine I own at the moment I needed it to work so that I could get to work for my studies. After the system update I was met with a CLI which didn't bode well. I logged in and after a lot of turmoil I found that I could make an .xinitrc with contents
Code:

exec gnome-session

to launch my desktop environment. This isn't ideal however as there seems to be a huge problem with gdm. So what baffled me is that in the systemctl list-unit-files --type service contained the following service enabled.
Code:

UNIT FILE                                   STATE         
accounts-daemon.service                     disabled       
alsa-restore.service                        static         
alsa-state.service                          static         
apache2.service                             disabled       
autovt@.service                             enabled       
avahi-daemon.service                        disabled       
avahi-dnsconfd.service                      disabled       
blk-availability.service                    disabled       
bluetooth.service                           disabled       
canberra-system-bootup.service              disabled       
canberra-system-shutdown-reboot.service     disabled       
canberra-system-shutdown.service            disabled       
clean-mount-point@.service                  static         
colord.service                              static         
configure-printer@.service                  static         
console-getty.service                       disabled       
container-getty@.service                    static         
cronie.service                              enabled       
cups-browsed.service                        disabled       
cups-lpd@.service                           static         
cups.service                                disabled       
dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service      static         
dbus-org.freedesktop.locale1.service        static         
dbus-org.freedesktop.login1.service         static         
dbus-org.freedesktop.machine1.service       static         
dbus-org.freedesktop.network1.service       enabled       
dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service enabled       
dbus-org.freedesktop.nm-dispatcher.service  enabled       
dbus-org.freedesktop.portable1.service      static         
dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service       enabled       
dbus-org.freedesktop.timedate1.service      static         
dbus.service                                static         
debug-shell.service                         disabled       
dhcpcd.service                              disabled       
dhcpd4.service                              disabled       
dhcpd6.service                              disabled       
dhcrelay4.service                           disabled       
dhcrelay6.service                           disabled       
display-manager.service                     enabled       
dm-event.service                            disabled       
emergency.service                           static         
fstrim.service                              static         
gdm.service                                 enabled   

user-runtime-dir@.service             static         
user@.service                               static     

what? So why doesn't gdm just launch at boot? And user-runtime-dir@.service and user@.service are static too?

In CLI I tried to run systemctl restart gdm.service but apparently this makes my system hang without allowing me to proceed. How come that an xorg update breaks my display and log in manager?

At the moment, my computer boots to cli, I have to log into cli and have to run startx in order to get my system up and running. But it is not an ideal way to do things as I cannot log in again after closing and opening my laptop (probably due to some weird gdm thing that I need to get resolved but don't know how).

So onto digging:
I know that gdm.service is enabled.

Code:
systemctl list-units --type=target
UNIT                   LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION                 
basic.target           loaded active active Basic System                 
getty.target           loaded active active Login Prompts               
graphical.target       loaded active active Graphical Interface         
local-fs-pre.target    loaded active active Local File Systems (Pre)     
local-fs.target        loaded active active Local File Systems           
machines.target        loaded active active Containers                   
multi-user.target      loaded active active Multi-User System           
network.target         loaded active active Network                     
nss-lookup.target      loaded active active Host and Network Name Lookups
nss-user-lookup.target loaded active active User and Group Name Lookups 
paths.target           loaded active active Paths                       
remote-fs.target       loaded active active Remote File Systems         
slices.target          loaded active active Slices                       
sockets.target         loaded active active Sockets                     
sound.target           loaded active active Sound Card                   
swap.target            loaded active active Swap                         
sysinit.target         loaded active active System Initialization       
time-sync.target       loaded active active System Time Synchronized     
timers.target          loaded active active Timers                       

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

19 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

Code:
systemctl status default.target
● graphical.target - Graphical Interface
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/graphical.target; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active since Fri 2018-11-16 15:35:12 CET; 20min ago
     Docs: man:systemd.special(7)

Nov 16 15:35:12 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

Code:

systemctl --type=service
  UNIT                                                LOAD   ACTIVE SUB     DESCRIPTION                             
  accounts-daemon.service                             loaded active running Accounts Service                         
  alsa-restore.service                                      loaded active exited  Save/Restore Sound Card State           
  colord.service                                               loaded active running Manage, Install and Generate Color Profil>
  cronie.service                                               loaded active running Command Scheduler                       
  dbus.service                                                 loaded active running D-Bus System Message Bus                 
  gdm.service                                                  loaded active running GNOME Display Manager                   
  geoclue.service                                             loaded active running Location Lookup Service                 
  getty@tty1.service                                        loaded active running Getty on tty1                           
  kmod-static-nodes.service                             loaded active exited  Create list of required static device nod>
  NetworkManager.service                              loaded active running Network Manager                         
  polkit.service                                                loaded active running Authorization Manager                   
  rsyslog.service                                     l        oaded active running System Logging Service                   
  systemd-backlight@backlight:intel_backlight.service         loaded active exited  Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of >
  systemd-fsck-root.service                           loaded active exited  File System Check on Root Device         
  systemd-fsck@dev-sda1.service                 loaded active exited  File System Check on /dev/sda1           
  systemd-journal-flush.service                      loaded active exited  Flush Journal to Persistent Storage     
  systemd-journald.service                            loaded active running Journal Service                         
  systemd-logind.service                               loaded active running Login Service                           
  systemd-modules-load.service                    loaded active exited  Load Kernel Modules                     
  systemd-networkd.service                          loaded active running Network Service                         
  systemd-random-seed.service                    loaded active exited  Load/Save Random Seed                   
  systemd-remount-fs.service                          loaded active exited  Remount Root and Kernel File Systems     
  systemd-resolved.service                            loaded active running Network Name Resolution                 
  systemd-sysctl.service                              loaded active exited  Apply Kernel Variables                   
  systemd-timesyncd.service                           loaded active running Network Time Synchronization             
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev.service                  loaded active exited  Create Static Device Nodes in /dev       
  systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                      loaded active exited  Create Volatile Files and Directories   
  systemd-udev-trigger.service                        loaded active exited  udev Coldplug all Devices               
  systemd-udevd.service                               loaded active running udev Kernel Device Manager               
  systemd-update-utmp.service                         loaded active exited  Update UTMP about System Boot/Shutdown   
  systemd-user-sessions.service                       loaded active exited  Permit User Sessions                     
  udisks2.service                                     loaded active running Disk Manager                             
  upower.service                                      loaded active running Daemon for power management             
  user-runtime-dir@1000.service                       loaded active exited  /run/user/1000 mount wrapper

● user-runtime-dir@115.service                        loaded failed failed  /run/user/115 mount wrapper             

user@1000.service                                   loaded active running User Manager for UID 1000               
  wpa_supplicant.service                              loaded active running WPA supplicant                           

LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

37 loaded units listed. Pass --all to see loaded but inactive units, too.
To show all installed unit files use 'systemctl list-unit-files'.

gdm.service says it is loaded and I can indeed ctrl+alt+F[1..9] through all virtual terminals... but that user-runtime-dir@115.service thing seems to have failed... I don't know what it is though. So if I can scroll through virtual terminals, why can I not log in through a normal log in manager? I started going on forums and read stuff about display-manager.service and how there might be something like a symlink.... will do more digging.

Ah so I found something new
Code:

systemctl status gdm.service
● gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2018-11-16 15:35:12 CET; 34min ago
 Main PID: 5125 (gdm)
   CGroup: /system.slice/gdm.service
           └─5125 /usr/sbin/gdm

Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Child process -8591 was already dead.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Child process 8588 was already dead.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Unable to kill session worker process
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][8594]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][8594]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Could not start command '/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker': Too many open files
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: GLib: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Child process -8597 was already dead.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Child process 8594 was already dead.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster gdm[5125]: Unable to kill session worker process

Seems as though that failed user@115.service thing may be a culprit in this case... but what is it? how do I launch it or repair it?

Went on to look for interesting information in dmesg
Code:
dmesg | grep "systemd"
[    0.000000] Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-4.14.65-gentoo root=UUID=4bd7ab89-e2e3-4948-8c1c-ab2390041e2b ro init=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd
[    6.562592] systemd[1]: systemd 239 running in system mode. (+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL -XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN2 -IDN +PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid)
[    6.590539] systemd[1]: Detected architecture x86-64.
[    6.605021] systemd[1]: Set hostname to <PorosGentooster>.
[    7.616913] systemd[1]: File /lib/systemd/system/systemd-journald.service:36 configures an IP firewall (IPAddressDeny=any), but the local system does not support BPF/cgroup based firewalling.
[    7.617805] systemd[1]: Proceeding WITHOUT firewalling in effect! (This warning is only shown for the first loaded unit using IP firewalling.)
[    7.766510] systemd[1]: Unnecessary job for HGST_HTS721010A9E630 boot was removed.
[    7.767119] systemd[1]: Unnecessary job for HGST_HTS721010A9E630 boot was removed.
[    7.767705] systemd[1]: Unnecessary job for HGST_HTS721010A9E630 boot was removed.
[    7.768353] systemd[1]: Unnecessary job for HGST_HTS721010A9E630 boot was removed.
[    7.768896] systemd[1]: Unnecessary job for HGST_HTS721010A9E630 boot was removed.
[    7.769686] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
[    7.771110] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
[    8.594542] systemd-journald[3787]: Received request to flush runtime journal from PID 1

nothing out of the ordinary i think other than a couple of weird boot jobs.

it appears user@115.service is inactive as a whole
Code:
systemctl status user@115.service
● user@115.service - User Manager for UID 115
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/user@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Dependency failed for User Manager for UID 115.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: user@115.service: Job user@115.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Dependency failed for User Manager for UID 115.
Nov 16 15:36:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: user@115.service: Job user@115.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

I thought running
Code:
systemctl reenable gdm.service
would help me but it didn't. I also found that everytime after running startx gnome keyring asks me for my password again. When running
Code:
systemctl restart gdm
in a terminal in a running DE, the screen flickers, goes to a black screen with a single blinking cursor and that's the end of it. So something is wrong with that too.

CORE PROBLEM: gdm doesn't start after failing to load user@115.service

Last edited by ZappingLinux on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to make sure it's not the random issue - when does "random: crng init done" appear in your dmesg?
Also is user 115 the gdm account? (check your /etc/passwd)...
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Just want to make sure it's not the random issue - when does "random: crng init done" appear in your dmesg?
Also is user 115 the gdm account? (check your /etc/passwd)...

according to dmesg
Code:

dmesg | grep "random"
[    0.150113] random: get_random_bytes called from kcmp_cookies_init+0x11/0x33 with crng_init=0
[    1.942059] random: fast init done
[    7.380138] random: lvm2-activation: uninitialized urandom read (4 bytes read)
[    7.703517] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
[    7.704419] random: systemd: uninitialized urandom read (16 bytes read)
[    9.930681] random: crng init done
[    9.931086] random: 7 urandom warning(s) missed due to ratelimiting

it appears around 9.930681. And unfortunately yes
Code:

cat /etc/passwd | grep "115"
gdm:x:115:999:added by portage for gdm:/var/lib/gdm:/sbin/nologin

gdm seems to be that account.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, don't know. Many people have had their desktop/gdm hang at that point for a while because the random number generator wasn't ready by then, and gdm would hang there waiting for random numbers that wasn't ready. I had two machines hang at that point for many seconds until I generated more entropy and the crng init completes. Neither machine have this problem anymore however.

Not sure if this is the same issue, doubt it, oh well.
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
okay, don't know. Many people have had their desktop/gdm hang at that point for a while because the random number generator wasn't ready by then, and gdm would hang there waiting for random numbers that wasn't ready. I had two machines hang at that point for many seconds until I generated more entropy and the crng init completes. Neither machine have this problem anymore however.

Not sure if this is the same issue, doubt it, oh well.

Is there a way that I can recompile my profile? Would rebuilding gdm work perhaps?
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could recompile everything by emerge -e @world ...
also could try emerge -1 gdm...

So those kill errors were after you tried

# systemctl stop gdm

right?

Is there anything in the journal about gdm?

# journalctl --since yesterday -g gdm

In any case something is very confusing here because gdm appears to fail on start but you can startx? What's the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log when gdm tries to autostart on boot, does it even touch that file?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
you could recompile everything by emerge -e @world ...
also could try emerge -1 gdm...

So those kill errors were after you tried

# systemctl stop gdm

right?

Is there anything in the journal about gdm?

# journalctl --since yesterday -g gdm

In any case something is very confusing here because gdm appears to fail on start but you can startx? What's the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log when gdm tries to autostart on boot, does it even touch that file?

journalctl has a lot to say about gdm. Namely the following. In here I see stuff about pam-systemd which I have seen mentioned before as being the potential cause for problems but I don't know what it is. As for the journalctl stuff I don't quite know what to make of it.

Code:

-- Logs begin at Fri 2018-10-05 00:49:41 CEST, end at Sat 2018-11-17 13:25:58 CET. --
Nov 16 08:43:37 PorosGentooster kernel: ath: doing EEPROM country->regdmn map search
Nov 16 08:43:37 PorosGentooster kernel: ath: country maps to regdmn code: 0x37
Nov 16 11:31:35 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Stopping Session c1 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:31:35 PorosGentooster gdm[5116]: Tried to look up non-existent conversation gdm-launch-environment
Nov 16 11:31:35 PorosGentooster gdm[5116]: Freeing conversation 'gdm-launch-environment' with active job
Nov 16 11:31:35 PorosGentooster systemd[5147]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:31:36 PorosGentooster gdm[5116]: Freeing conversation 'gdm-password' with active job
Nov 16 11:31:36 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Stopped Session c1 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:31:36 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Removed slice User Slice of gdm.
-- Reboot --
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5179]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c1 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c1 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd[5188]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5193]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5195.log"
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5197]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c2 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c2 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5197]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user-115.slice failed with 'canceled'
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5200]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5203.log"
Nov 16 11:32:07 PorosGentooster systemd[5204]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5209]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c3 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c3 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5215]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5220]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5222.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5216]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5225]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c4 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c4 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5230]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5235]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5237.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5231]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5238]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c5 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c5 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5244]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5249]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5251.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5245]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5252]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c6 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c6 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5258]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5263]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5265.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5266]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c7 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c7 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5266]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user-115.slice failed with 'canceled'
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5270]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5272.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5259]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5273]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5274]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5278]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c8 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c8 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5278]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5283]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5285.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5286]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring

then the following lines keep repeating forever

Code:

Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5266]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user-115.slice failed with 'canceled'
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5270]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5272.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5259]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5273]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[5274]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5278]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c8 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c8 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5278]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5283]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5285.log"
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5286]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c9 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c9 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5286]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:08 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5289]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5291.log"
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5292]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c10 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c10 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5292]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5295]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5297.log"
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5298]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c11 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c11 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5298]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5301]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5303.log"
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5304]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c12 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c12 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5304]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5307]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5309.log"
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5310]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c13 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c13 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5310]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5313]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5315.log"
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][5316]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c14 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:09 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c14 of user gdm.

followed by even more
Code:

Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6545]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user-115.slice failed with 'canceled'
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6548]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6550.log"
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6537]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6551]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6556]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c192 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c192 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6562]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6567]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6569.log"
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6563]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6571]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c193 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c193 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6576]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6581]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6583.log"
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6585]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c194 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c194 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6585]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user-115.slice failed with 'canceled'
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6588]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6590.log"
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6577]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6591]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6592]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6596]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c195 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c195 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster systemd[6602]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session opened for user gdm by (uid=0)
Nov 16 11:32:29 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6607]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6609.log"
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[6603]: pam_unix(systemd-user:session): session closed for user gdm
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6611]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c196 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c196 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6611]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6615]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6617.log"
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6618]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c197 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c197 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6618]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6621]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6623.log"
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6624]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c198 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c198 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6624]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6627]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6629.log"
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6630]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c199 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c199 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6630]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[6633]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-6635.log"
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][6636]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Unknown parameter 'kill-session-processes=1', ignoring
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd-logind[5118]: New session c200 of user gdm.
Nov 16 11:32:30 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Started Session c200 of user gdm.

and it seems that the processes alternate every now and again.

As a clarification the "errors" (screen going black and flickering) were after running
#systemctl restart gdm.service
which I, because of what the consequences are, won't run as I would need to reboot my entire system.
I never ran
#systemctl stop gdm.service
However when I do, would should happen? I just did and I don't get any output or whatever.

Of course when I check the status of it
Code:

systemctl status gdm.service
● gdm.service - GNOME Display Manager
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead) since Sat 2018-11-17 13:37:43 CET; 6min ago
  Process: 5124 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/gdm (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 5124 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm-launch-environment][8610]: pam_systemd(gdm-launch-environment:session): Failed to create session: Start job for unit user@115.service failed with 'dependency'
Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: Could not start command '/usr/libexec/gdm-session-worker': Too many open files
Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: GLib: g_child_watch_add_full: assertion 'pid > 0' failed
Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: Child process -8613 was already dead.
Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: Child process 8610 was already dead.
Nov 17 11:47:22 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: Unable to kill session worker process
Nov 17 13:37:43 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Stopping GNOME Display Manager...
Nov 17 13:37:43 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: GLib: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed
Nov 17 13:37:43 PorosGentooster gdm[5124]: GLib: g_hash_table_find: assertion 'version == hash_table->version' failed
Nov 17 13:37:43 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Stopped GNOME Display Manager.

it shows what I expect it to show but with a couple of errors before hand that are at the root of the problem i think.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well those errors are point at something interesting though not conclusive:

Why does /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-*.log not exist...

Does the directory /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/ exist, at least? If not, what if it's created?

For me, it looks like the usual Xorg.0.log which will be interesting in figuring out why X doesn't start...
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eccerr0r wrote:
Well those errors are point at something interesting though not conclusive:

Why does /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-*.log not exist...

Does the directory /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/ exist, at least? If not, what if it's created?

For me, it looks like the usual Xorg.0.log which will be interesting in figuring out why X doesn't start...

The only folder in /var/lib/gdm/.local/share is applications which is empty. I created an xorg directory. What do you think is supposed to happen to it?

I don't know why X doesn't start in and of itself. I think that gdm usually starts X and because gdm is non functional now I have to do it manually. But I am unsure of that. I also find it weird how I cannot log in using gdm. Gdm is just completely messed up somehow.
hhfeuer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X for GDM is being started as user gdm, so the Xorg.0.log gets created in the users home directory which is /var/lib/gdm, so this and all folders in it have to belong to gdm:gdm
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhfeuer wrote:
X for GDM is being started as user gdm, so the Xorg.0.log gets created in the users home directory which is /var/lib/gdm, so this and all folders in it have to belong to gdm:gdm

the xorg dir in /var/lib/gdm/.local/share is empty and nothing is in there. The point is that user account 115 which is gdm is failing the entire time for some reason.

Code:
systemctl status user@115.service
● user@115.service - User Manager for UID 115
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/user@.service; static; vendor preset: disabled)
   Active: inactive (dead)

Nov 20 08:09:05 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Dependency failed for User Manager for UID 115.
Nov 20 08:09:05 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: user@115.service: Job user@115.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Nov 20 08:09:05 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: Dependency failed for User Manager for UID 115.
Nov 20 08:09:05 PorosGentooster systemd[1]: user@115.service: Job user@115.service/start failed with result 'dependency'.

kglos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: [solved] Reply with quote

This thread seems dead for some time now…

I just came across such a situation and I had such info in logs:

Code:
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]: (EE)
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]: Fatal server error:
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]: (EE) Cannot open log file "/var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.pid-5605.log"
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]: Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]:          at http://wiki.x.org
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]:  for help.
maj 11 22:05:08 oia.kubalibre.mine.nu /usr/libexec/gdm-x-session[5603]: Unable to run X server

Moreover, after systemctl start gdm local console omited some keyboard strokes (ie. 2nd or 3rd in a row).

Anyways, for the records creating /var/lib/gdm/.local/share/xorg directory for user gdm helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: