Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
mPCI/Cardbus + WPA2 wifi loses a lot of packets...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: mPCI/Cardbus + WPA2 wifi loses a lot of packets... Reply with quote

Hardware: Dell Inspiron 600m Pentium-M 1600

This is weird. I cannot get stable WPA2 on my Dell laptop with PCI devices, but unsecure and USB WIFI works fine!
All three of these cards:

MiniPCI IPW2200BG (OEM) - firmware constantly restarts, large packet loss. Using internal antenna.
MiniPCI Atheros AR5xxx 802.11b/g (replace IPW2200BG) - constantly drops packets for minutes at a time. Using same antenna as the IPW2200BG
Cardbus PCMCIA Realtek RTL8180 802.11b in PCMCIA slot - same as Atheros - no warnings in dmesg visible. PCMCIA stub antenna out the side.

Sometimes I can't even associate with each of the three cards.

Again, the three "PCI" cards all work fine for insecure wifi (no WEP or WPA). At least I can use my VPN over insecure wifi and it works perfectly!

However, my RTL8187 USB 802.11b/g wifi works fine for WPA2 on this computer! (and my two other laptops (with onboard PCI/PCIe b/g/n wifi) work fine with this same 802.11b/g access point.)

What gives? I suppose I don't want things sticking out of my laptop so I don't like the PCMCIA or especially the USB solution, but having both the IPW2200BG and AR5xxx fail in such a similar way is quite odd.

----

EDIT:

It looks like this has something to do with the behavior under interference/signal strength. While I do get 3/4 bars, it still has the problem. Moving the receiver next to the access point allows the cards to work properly.

It's kind of unfortunate that I need to disable WPA in order to use the cards farther away.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: