Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[Solved] Bootstrapping stage1 with custom USE flags?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atronach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: [Solved] Bootstrapping stage1 with custom USE flags? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to recompile the toolchain according to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_install_Gentoo_using_a_stage1_or_stage2_tarball.3F. In the /usr/portage/scripts/bootstrap.sh there's a statement that package.use is not applied here and an global environment variable for USE flags is suggested instead. Unfortunatelly when exporting the USE= var to my shell session, e.g. export USE="doc", it's still not respected by the bootstrap script executed afterwards in the same session. I can check with ./bootstrap.sh -p the USE flag status is not updated (USE=-doc ...) in the emerge pretended output. I can confirm the variable works on its own with echo $USE. I also tried to set the var in the env.d to no avail. Just for sure I additionaly tried it the std way via /etc/portage/make.conf which works neither. What's the problem?

Thanks.

Last edited by Atronach on Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
ali3nx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i'm aware stage 1 builds have been obsolete for a long long time

With that mentioned I wanted to post out of curiosity and to satisfy some personal Gentoo nostalgia. I've not attempted this in many years but i'm curious if a stage 1 build would still work without requiring use of catalyst. Among one of the purposes that many years ago for stage 1 builds was being able to add support for then not default nptl functionality in glibc

Now all that's required is to alter the compile flags in a stage 3 tarball, complete your initial install because that's generally a sane and wise approach to customizing then emerge -e world if you desired to do so and your build will have all custom cflags or use flags.

use flag defaults are largely defined by portage profiles so perhaps a custom portage profile or using catalyst to build a new stage tarball may also be what your seeking
Compile long and Prosper!
Atronach
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for info. Solved.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali3nx,

If you could get a stage1 tarball, the stage1 install would still work.

Catalyst builds stage1 using the Gentoo system its running on. It continues by using the stage1 to build stage2 and so on.
Only the stage3 is published now as stage1 makes little sense for the vast majority of users.

The few that want to set the CHOST to i586 probably don't build on the target system anyway.

If you want a trip down memory lane, build your own stage1 with catalyst and install from there.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
ali3nx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
ali3nx,

If you could get a stage1 tarball, the stage1 install would still work.

Catalyst builds stage1 using the Gentoo system its running on. It continues by using the stage1 to build stage2 and so on.
Only the stage3 is published now as stage1 makes little sense for the vast majority of users.

The few that want to set the CHOST to i586 probably don't build on the target system anyway.

If you want a trip down memory lane, build your own stage1 with catalyst and install from there.

Ahhh someday. So much nostalgia Thanks neddy :)
Compile long and Prosper!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: