Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is this really how dependencies are supposed to work ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Is this really how dependencies are supposed to work ? Reply with quote

I have decided to check why my KDE/Qt5 based laptop runs GNOME accesibility daemons, and why I can't remove them

Code:
xxx 27095     1  0 Nov05 ?        00:00:00 /usr/libexec/at-spi-bus-launcher
xxx 27101 27095  0 Nov05 ?     00:00:00 /usr/bin/dbus-daemon --config-file=/usr/share/defaults/at-spi2/acce
xxx 27103     1  0 Nov05 ?        00:00:02 /usr/libexec/at-spi2-registryd --use-gnome-session

so I see that the only dependence is on at-spi2-atk, that comes from gtk3

x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.30 (X ? >=app-accessibility/at-spi2-atk-2.5.3[abi_x86_32(-)? .....]

Ok, but I do not have any packages that use gtk3, can I remove it ? No, since I have unconditional dependence on it of GNOME icon theme

Code:
x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.24.0 (x11-libs/gtk+:3)

Can I get rid of it ? No, since

Code:
x11-libs/gtk+-2.24.32 (>=x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.14)
x11-libs/gtk+-3.22.30 (>=x11-themes/adwaita-icon-theme-3.14)

Ah, nice, gtk2 I do need, and now having gtk2 essentially requires gtk3, via adwaita-icon-theme.

But why do adwaita-icon-theme requires gtk3 ?? This happened only since version 3.24. And from the ebuild

Code:
# gtk+:3 is needed for build for the gtk-encode-symbolic-svg utility

So I am running gnome accesibility suite in KDE, and have gtk3 installed, because icon package needed to build one time one utility which converts svg to png for faster load ...

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]

Last edited by dmpogo on Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much you figured it out on how the dependencies work, it is pretty much dependent on what the devs (upstream, not gentoo) decided to use. Sadly, you are limited in what you could do to change it. You could try contacting the devs that maintain the package and get them to change it (probably be ignored/told though luck), fork and make a new project that changes that dependency (a lot of work), or you maintain your own patch that changes dependency.

I have a similar issue with qtwebkit; in where the upstream dev decided he wanted to use ruby, so everyone is forced to have ruby for that package anyways.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ct85711 wrote:
Pretty much you figured it out on how the dependencies work, it is pretty much dependent on what the devs (upstream, not gentoo) decided to use. Sadly, you are limited in what you could do to change it. You could try contacting the devs that maintain the package and get them to change it (probably be ignored/told though luck), fork and make a new project that changes that dependency (a lot of work), or you maintain your own patch that changes dependency.

I have a similar issue with qtwebkit; in where the upstream dev decided he wanted to use ruby, so everyone is forced to have ruby for that package anyways.

I would be somewhat OK if I had to install some libraries just to build some package (though propagation of ruby/rust build environments bothers me a bit). But here, build requirements of some decoration package force me to run daemons .... That's a bit over the top, one gets a feeling of a broken concept.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The at-spi dependency is a bug in the gentoo ebuild, the newest gtk+3 in overlays allows it to be removed.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The at-spi dependency is a bug in the gentoo ebuild

Oh, does the upstream buildsystem allow to disable it?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bug 669234
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not a bug in the ebuild, it is a bug in the upstream build system that people are asking for being patched downstream.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
The at-spi dependency is a bug in the gentoo ebuild, the newest gtk+3 in overlays allows it to be removed.

nice patches in the bug, work fine
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fun project. For gtk-encode-symbolic-svg from Gtk 3.24, you need the source[0] and the patch[1] to remove Gdk dependency. Et voila. It could be added to x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf useflag[+tools]. No longer would there be a build dependency on Gtk 3 for their themes, would there?

If anyone tries to persuade upstream, ask them to move that helper tool to where it truely belongs: gdk-pixbuf[2] package, which they split off of Gtk on the move to version 3. Do not forget to reference the patch to remove Gdk dependency.

Gtk 4 version seems to be similarly patchable.

[0] https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/gtk-3-24/gtk/encodesymbolic.c
[1] https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded-core/blob/master/meta/recipes-gnome/gtk%2B/gtk-icon-utils/Remove-Gdk-dependency-from-gtk-encode-symbolic-svg.patch
[2] https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf

hear hear
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite believe nobody has tried to take this upstream yet?
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good reference: https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-util/gtk-update-icon-cache and its source https://github.com/EvaSDK/gtk-update-icon-cache

Same could be done for gtk-encode-symbolic-svg. I wonder if they are interested to maintain this, too.

hear hear
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: