install no prob's reinstall no go???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: install no prob's reinstall no go??? Reply with quote

On my first install everything went smoothly......I had so much fun I decided to do it again(mainly for the experience :) ) wasn't happening...........I've even tried booting into winblows running partition magic and wiping hda smooth, but when I reboot and run install I can only get up to where I select which tar to use and it hangs no matter which one I choose.......anybody got any ideas as to why??????? or better yet how to fix it :?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that every time I had trouble, during the installations I have done on many different machines many different times, it was always something I had missed in the documentation--OR something that I mis-typed. I'd recommend looking very carefully at the sections of the build document that mount your /mnt/gentoo /mnt/gentoo/boot /mnt/gentoo/proc and also pay very close attention to how you chroot into the new environment (be sure to include /bin/bash). In short just be VERY VERY sure that you follow the build document precisely. Oh yeah and be sure that you have cd(ed) to your /mnt/gentoo before you try to extract the contents of the tarball (mad this mistake once myself.)

Hope that helps!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
shadowknight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: hehehe Reply with quote

you're right......I was up all night and apparently too tired to catch what I was doing wrong........forgot to......

Code:
cd /mnt/cdrom

ROFL...........times like these you just have to laugh at yourself :D
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I made a VERY similar mistake once. During the install I had already cd(ed) over to /mnt/gentoo and was running the command to extract the stage1 tarball but I was not specifying the entire path to the cd-rom. So of course it is telling me that the tarball does not exist (because it didn't in the current directory which is where I was telling it to look!). Bah! Oh well! Good job on figuring it out!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: