View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Gentoo Install Reply with quote

Hi there to everyone, this is my first post on Gentoo, great to be here!!

To the point, I am trying to install Gentoo on an external Hitachi 296Gb HDD taken out of a Dell Latitude. I have it in an inateck external enclosure case connected via usb to a Dell latitude laptop. I used system rescue cd to boot into and have tried installing Gentoo at least 15-20 times thus far!!!

I download the stage 3 tarball from the Gentoo official site instead of going through the mirrors and I copy it over to /mnt/Gentoo from the downloads file on the system rescue cd. I untar and everything goes beautifully. I use blkid to set UUID in /etc/fstab. I have partitioned using fdisk to handbook spec bar the swap file as I have 8Gb RAM and I can't really see the need for it. I have a 3Mb grub partition starting at 2048 bytes in on the HDD as the handbook suggests, a 512Mb boot file and the rest of the disk is root. I have not placed the bootloader entry into fstab as the handbook also advises.

/dev/sda1 3Mb ext2 grub_boot
/dev/sda2 512MB ext2 boot
/dev/sda3 ext4 rest of disk root

I have made all necessary changes to the /etc/default/grub, /etc/grub.conf and grub.d files from the official handbook spec. I have configured my own kernel with make menuconfig to my hardware spec but enabling the low-latency kernel instead of the default. I used the test -L command as I'm using non-Gentoo install media. I have added GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" in the make.conf file along with all the relevant MAKEOPTS="-j2", C, CF and CXX flags. I did not erase anything from inside this file.

I have tried to use genkernel but said command not found. I tried to install it by using emerge --av genkernel and emerge --ask sys-kernel/genkernel. Everything goes well but when I try to use genkernel, I still get a command not found. So I configured instead.

As I said, everything goes well with no errors but when I unmount and then type in that one magical command that initiates the final, true test: reboot, I get a grub menu with a countdown, I hit enter and always get an end trace message with a different code and a flashing caps lock light each time.

I have tried everything and have read in depth. I am truly lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to give up on it.

Kind regards, Tonic3
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

Welcome to Gentoo.

Lesson 1 is you will not fix Gentoo by reinstalling. That only gives you the opportunity to make a different mistake.

You have a kernel panic. The key words in your post are e
Quote:
xternal enclosure case connected via usb
During the normal course of events, the kernel mounts the root filesystem before it initialises the USB subsystem.
Naturally, when you have root on USB, mounting root fails.

To change this, you pass a kernel parameter on the kernel line in grub.cfg,
When it works, use
Code:
rootwait
. This causes the kernel to wait forever for the root filesystem to appear.
While you are getting it going, use
Code:
rootdelay=30
The kernel will wait 30 seconds then thy to mount root anyway.
This way, the boot process does not hang forever, you get the panic and maybe some useful information too.

As you configured you own kernel, I guess that you are not using an initrd. That works but it comes with a few caveats.
1. The kernel code required to mount the root filesystem must be configured as *. The kernel cannot load any modules until root is mounted.
2. There is no userspace until root is mounted, so root=UUID= ... cannot be used. You must use either root=/dev/... or root=PARTUUID=

One last wrinkle, drive ordering may change between your install and booting you own install.
That will play havoc with root=/de/...

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much NeddySeagoon. So, I could try installing the HDD back into the laptop and installing Gentoo fresh from there and then could I take it back out once Gentoo has installed and use it on the go? Would genkernel work then? Btw, I tried with PARTUUID= also but with no joy. I think the solution might lie with replacing the hard drive and trying again from what you have also said NeddySeagoon. Invaluable, thanks once again!!! I will try tomorrow and post my hopefully positive results!

Thanking you once again NeddySeagoon, you are a star and a wealth of knowledge, much appreciation!!!

Best

Tonic3
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS...I will leave the HDD in the laptop as I know Gentoo will be tailored to that spec which nullifies my initial question , sorry.

Regards

Tonic3
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

It doesn't matter if the HDD is in the laptop or in a USB enclosure.
Both ways work if you build correct kernel support and provide the correct kernel parameters.

With a little care, you can even make the same HDD work in both places.

Post the output of
Code:
lspci -nnk
so we can see your hardware.
With all your partitions mounted, post the output of
Code:
/sbin/blkid
so we can learn about your partitions.

Post the output of
Code:
df -hT
so we can see the filesystems you have in use.

With that information we can tell you how to fix your kernel. Use wgetpaste to put your kernel .config file onto a pastebin site and post the link.
Its far to big to fit into a post. The .config file is usually at /usr/src/linux/.config

-- edit --

Its only your kernel and kernel parameters that need to be changed. There is no need to reinstall anything.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there NeddySeagoon,

Ive actually replaced the HDD back into the laptop and reinstalled, (before I received your reply). Everything went well and I rebooted from root login into Gentoo. However!!! All sorts of weirdness is going on.

Output of lspci -nnk:

Code:
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller [8086:0154] (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Dell 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: ivb_uncore
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
   Subsystem: Dell 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: i915
   Kernel modules: i915
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [8086:1e31] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:16.0 Communication controller [0780]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 [8086:1e3a] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: mei_me
   Kernel modules: mei_me
00:19.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Intel Corporation 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville) [8086:1502] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection (Lewisville) [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: e1000e
   Kernel modules: e1000e
00:1a.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 [8086:1e2d] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1b.0 Audio device [0403]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1e20] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller [1028:0532]
00:1c.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 [8086:1e10] (rev c4)
   Kernel driver in use: pcieport
   Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.1 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2 [8086:1e12] (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 3 [8086:1e14] (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 [8086:1e16] (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge [0604]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 6 [8086:1e1a] (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 [8086:1e26] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
00:1f.0 ISA bridge [0601]: Intel Corporation QM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller [8086:1e55] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell QM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
   Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [8086:1e03] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: ahci
00:1f.3 SMBus [0c05]: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller [8086:1e22] (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Dell 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: i801_smbus
   Kernel modules: i2c_i801
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Limited BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]
   Subsystem: Dell BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [1028:0014]
   Kernel driver in use: bcma-pci-bridge
   Kernel modules: bcma
0b:00.0 SD Host controller [0805]: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ600FJ0/OZ900FJ0/OZ600FJS SD/MMC Card Reader Controller [1217:8221] (rev 05)
   Subsystem: Dell OZ600FJ0/OZ900FJ0/OZ600FJS SD/MMC Card Reader Controller [1028:0532]
   Kernel driver in use: sdhci-pci
   Kernel modules: sdhci_pci

Output of /sbin/blkid:
Code:

/dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs"
/dev/sda2: UUID="2e96ab27-e670-4f3e-a404-08654dadb070" TYPE="ext3" PARTUUID="7c9984cc-02"
/dev/sda3: UUID="4521485e-b3be-4f7e-b291-7da3237c3493" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="7c9984cc-03"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="SYSRCD-5_3_" UUID="9CFF-CF41" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="12478120-01"
/dev/sda1: PARTUUID="7c9984cc-01"

Output of df -hT:

F
Code:
ilesystem     Type      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev           devtmpfs   10M   92K   10M   1% /dev
/dev/sdb1      vfat      7.5G  548M  7.0G   8% /livemnt/boot
/dev/loop0     squashfs  482M  482M     0 100% /livemnt/squashfs
tmpfs          tmpfs     3.9G   62M  3.8G   2% /livemnt/memory
none           aufs      3.9G   62M  3.8G   2% /
tmpfs          tmpfs     512M   20K  512M   1% /livemnt/tftpmem
none           aufs      512M   20K  512M   1% /tftpboot
tmpfs          tmpfs     785M  1.2M  784M   1% /run
shm            tmpfs     3.9G   12M  3.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs          tmpfs     3.9G  524K  3.9G   1% /tmp
none           tmpfs     3.9G  4.0K  3.9G   1% /run/user/0
/dev/sda3      ext4      292G  5.2G  272G   2% /mnt/gentoo
/dev/sda2      ext3      480M   26M  429M   6% /boot

Now, I've tried to emerge wgetpaste by using emerge --ask app-text/wgetpaste and get:

!!! Found 2 make.profile dirs: using '/etc/portage/make.profile', ignoring '/etc/make.profile'

!!! Your current profile is deprecated and not supported anymore.
!!! Use eselect profile to update your profile.
!!! Please upgrade to the following profile if possible:

default/linux/x86/17.0

You may use the following command to upgrade:

eselect profile set default/linux/x86/17.0

* IMPORTANT: 15 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
* Use eselect news read to view new items.

* IMPORTANT: config file '/etc/portage/package.mask' needs updating.
* See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
* sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!

emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "app-text/wgetpaste".

Hence No kernel.config file.

I am pasting this from within the systemrescuecd. i feel I'm worse off than when the kernel was panicking.

I'd like to thank you so much for the time and patience you've already put in, it truly is appreciated. I'm a noobie and have been using Linux for about 2 years now purely at hobby level as i am a musician/Teacher and eventually want to build Gentoo for studio recording and as a powerhouse desktop.

I used Arch for quite a while to start off with and kept it going for around 6 months until upgrades killed me off. Gentoo is the way to go as I'm learning so much. I really do thank you for all your time and help!!!

Code tags added by NeddySeagoon, so we get a monospaced font for easy reading
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon Hi

As soon as I turn the laptop on I get invalid partition table. I hit enter and get the grub menu with gentoo. I hit enter and get Gentoo login prompt. I type root then my password and I get last login time and date!

I'm wired with ethernet and a ping returns network unreachable. I emerged wpa_supplicant when installing but when I go to configure the wpa_supplicant.conf file there isn't one. I've set the /etc/conf.d/net file with my ifconfig output info and thought I'd configure wireless once i'd installed.

/etc/conf.d/net file:

Code:
dns_domain_lo="BTHub"
config_eno1="IP netmask broadcast"
routes_eno1="default via IP"
modules="wpa_supplicant"

Output of ls /sys/class/net:
Code:
eno1  lo  sit0

I've also tried net-setup with no joy, returning command not found. So no internet to add to my woes.

But the most concerning is that whatever environment, directory or file I'm in, I get:

Code:
INIT:  Id "s0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT:  Id "s1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

after a few minutes every few minutes and have to hit enter to get back to root prompt.

As you can see a complete mess!!!

Kind regards

Tonic3

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My df -hT output from the hdd not from systemrescuecd:

Code:
Filesystem               Type               Size               Used               Avail               Use%       Mounted on
/dev/sda3                ext4               292G              5.2G               272G              2%          /
tmpfs                       tmpfs             786M             648K               785M              1%          /run
cgroup_root              tmpfs             10M                     0               10M               0%         /sys/fs/cgroup
dev                          devtmpfs        10M                     0                10M              0%        /dev
shm                         tmpfs              3.9G                   0                3.9G              0%         /dev/shm
/dev/sda2                 ext2               496M               42M                429M             9%         /boot

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. Though, on seeing how varied the layout is, I wonder if that is really an improvement. -Hu]
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

Once upon a time, Gentoo used /etc/make.conf and /etc/make.profile with everything else being in /etc/portage.
A few years ago /etc/make.conf and /etc/make.profile were moved into /etc/portage.

If you have both /etc/make.conf and /etc/portage/make.conf merge them into the new location. Portage will do a merge as it runs but you may not like the result.
Portage cannot merge profiles. Remove /etc/make.profile if you have it and set a new profile with eselect profile.

Did you use a very old stage3 to get the old locations?
Code:
* IMPORTANT: 15 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
suggests that you did.

Quote:
I am pasting this from within the systemrescuecd.
I think it has wgetpaste but no matter, your kernel is able to boot, so its in pretty good shape.

Your
Code:
PARTUUID="7c9984cc-01"
tells that you have an MSDOS partition table. Even if the kernel doesn't like it it can still read it.
What is the output of
Code:
fdisk -l /dev/sda

Code:
INIT: Id "s0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "s1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
Thats /etc/inittab trying to start a login on the serial ports. You probably don't have serial ports.

Edit /etc/inittab and find the lines at the bottom something like
Code:
# SERIAL CONSOLES
#s0:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS0 vt100
#s1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 115200 ttyS1 vt100
Yours will be missing the #, which comments them out.
Restart to take effect.

net-setup is only on the live media, then its only a backstop.

With no /etc/conf.d/net, wired networking should almost work. Move /etc/conf.d/net out of the way.
Run
Code:
ifconfig -a
to discover the interface name.
Your
Code:
config_eno1="IP netmask broadcast"
suggests that its eno1. Is it?

Make a symbolic link in /etc/init.d called net.<ifname> that points to net.lo.
With that in place,
Code:
/etc/init.d/net.<ifname> start
should start <ifname>

Does that work?

If so
Code:
rc-update add net.<ifname> default
will make it start on boot.

WiFi is for another post, once wired works.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

I only have /etc/portage/make.conf. To clarify, in my etc directory I have portage. In portage I have the following files:

make.conf
make.profile
package.use
repo.postsync.d
repos.conf
savedconfig

I didn't do anything here as I don't really know how to merge yet. I selected profile 19, desktop, plasma stable. On virtualbox I selected profile 12 and still got the same behaviour.

I downloaded the tarball from Gentoo.org after a google search on Gentoo 2018 install.

I've sorted out the /etc/inittab serial consoles issue :D :D

My wired interface name is indeed eno1. I erased /etc/conf.d/net and cd'd into /etc/init.d and created a symbolic link called net.eno1 pointing to net.lo by issueing ln -s net.lo net.eno1. I did this during the install too. I then issued the command /etc/init.d/net.eno1 start and was warned that eno1 has already been started. On pinging I get temporary failure in name resolution. So still no internet.

My fdisk -l /dev/sda output is fine. All partitions are recognised. Should I have partitioned with parted and set mklabel to gpt? My laptop does not have UEFI. I have partitioned using gpt on MBR before and it worked whilst giving corrupted partition error but it did work. The handbook advises fdisk for non UEFI and MBR partitioning.

The fight goes on NeddySeagoon!!

Best

Tonic3
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

Progress ... but what messed up your inittab?

Quote:
My wired interface name is indeed eno1. I erased /etc/conf.d/net and cd'd into /etc/init.d and created a symbolic link called net.eno1 pointing to net.lo by issueing ln -s net.lo net.eno1. I did this during the install too. I then issued the command /etc/init.d/net.eno1 start and was warned that eno1 has already been started. On pinging I get temporary failure in name resolution. So still no internet.
That's all good signs

The internet works on numbers, not on names. When you give in a name, like ping google.com, the first thing that happens is your system tries to turn google.com into a number.
Its number is 216.58.204.78.

There are several reasons for this to fail. Your system cannot reach the router. Nothing works.
What does ifconfig say the address is
Code:
$ ifconfig
eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.100.20  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.100.255

192.168.0.0/16 is a block of unroutable (on the internet) IP addresses. You should have one of these.
If your IP address starts 169. Its a link local address. That's not routable at all. Its only useful for ad-hoc networks.
This can indicate your system and router are not playing nicely together.

If you have a 169.x.y.z IP address we have to sort that.

If you don't, keep reading.

Code:
ping -4 google.com
fails. The -4 means use IPv4 only. You can try -6 to use IPv6 only too.
That requires that your have an inet6 address starting with a 2.
Does
Code:
ping -4 216.58.204.78
work?
That skips the name to number lookup step but its the same thing.
If that works, look in /etc/resolv.conf It should contain a couple of lines starting nameserver.
This is how your system translates names to numbers ... it asks a nameserver listed here.

If your router isn't passing nameservers out, this file will be empty.
Add
Code:
nameserver 8.4.4.2
just for testing.
it will stick until your dhcpcd lease expires. Then /etc/resolv.conf will be empty again.

This is common to wifi too, so we may as well fix it now.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi NeddySeagoon,

I only have /etc/portage/make.conf. To clarify, in my etc directory I have portage. In portage I have the following files:

make.conf
make.profile
package.use
repo.postsync.d
repos.conf
savedconfig

I didn't do anything here as I don't really know how to merge yet. I selected profile 19, desktop, plasma stable. On virtualbox I selected profile 12 and still got the same behaviour.

I downloaded the tarball from Gentoo.org after a google search on Gentoo 2018 install.

I've sorted out the /etc/inittab serial consoles issue :D :D

My fdisk -l /dev/sda output is fine. All partitions are recognised. Should I have partitioned with parted and set mklabel to gpt? My laptop does not have UEFI. I have partitioned using gpt on MBR before and it worked whilst giving corrupted partition error but it did work. The handbook advises fdisk for non UEFI and MBR partitioning.

The fight goes on NeddySeagoon!!

Best

Tonic3
Mountain mystic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tonic3,
I would suggest you test anything before going BIOS+GPT. I personally prefer BIOS+MBR only as I have killed a disk before via using GPT + BIOS. But then again I'm my topic thread is adjacent to yours in this sub forum so :lol: . I'm sure NeddySeagoon is much more knowledgeable than I.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

BIOS and MSDOS partition table works.
BIOS and GPT partition table sometimes works. Its known to not be possible on some Dells. It also needs extra steps. Don't do it unless your HDD is too big for an MSDOS partition table.

UEFI and GPT partition table works.
UEFI and MSDOS partition table fails by design.

Your system mostly works. Do not reinstall it.

Just do the network testing I asked about in my last post.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ifconfig gives:

eno1: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.193 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255

ping -4 google.com gives temp failure in name resolution

ping -4 192.168.1.193 works!

my /etc/resolv.conf contains:

domain home
nameserver 192.168.1.193

I still have no internet however.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

Code:
nameserver 192.168.1.193
has to be wrong as that's the IP address of your system.
Code:
inet 192.168.1.193
and you don't run a domain name service there.

Normally your router runs a caching namserver and the entry is nameserver IP_of_Router.

Lets discover the IP address of your router. Run
Code:
route -n

I get
Code:
$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
0.0.0.0         192.168.100.253 0.0.0.0         UG    2      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
127.0.0.0       127.0.0.1       255.0.0.0       UG    0      0        0 lo
192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0

The first line is the one we want. In particularly, the Gateway 192.168.100.253. That's my router address.

Edit the IP address in /etc/resolv.conf to be whatever your Gateway is.
It will work now. Then we wait for your lease to renew to see if you get the 192.168.1.193 entry back.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon you're a star!!!!!!!

We have internet my friend!!!
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning NeddySeagoon,

:cry: :cry: :cry: . Got up, turned the laptop on, pinged, no internet!! Did a route -n and my gateway shows 0.0.0.0. Looked in /etc/resolc.conf and nameserver is as I left it last night with the ip of the router I had inputted, 192.168.1.254. Don't get it, yesterday I had internet!!! Oh well, the fight goes on!!!

Have a good week NeddySeagoon!
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran dhcpcd eno1 and let it do its thing. I then ran route -n, et voila! I have internet. But I know I don't have to run that command everytime I switch on the laptop?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

There are several things here.

Was the laptop powered off, suspended or hibernated?
From power off, as you say, it should just work, as long as net.eno1 is in the default runlevel.

Suspend or hibernate are a bit trickier. DHCP leases may or may not expire, so you need a script to start things, networking is only one, that don't justwork after suspended or hibernate.

That your route had disappeared shows that its a different problem. Yesterday, it was your nameserver entry as you demonstrated with the ping by number.
DHCP should set up your IP address, route and nameserver. That's the bare minimum. It can set up other things too.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the laptop is idle I get:

syslogd: /var/log/news/news.crit: no such file or directory
syslogd: /var/log/news/news.err:: no such file or directory
syslogd: /var/log/news/news.notice: no such file or directory
syslogd: /dev/xconsole: no such file or directory

Here's the link to my Kconfig file I presume as I selected profile 19 with desktop plasma stable 17.0

http://bpaste.net/show/e0d45925ca14

Thank you NeddySeagoon, I'm still trying!!!!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonic3,

Are you using systemd or openrc ?

Your syslogd suggests systemd. systemd does not use /etc/init.d/net.* to control network interfaces. That's openrc only.
I'm not a systemd user so I know very little about it.

If you need help with systemd and networking, start a new topic. Link this topic from it as your symptoms reported here are still relevant but the fixes are not.

Your profile does not invoke systemd.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kbuild http://bpaste.net/show/c86dd771d3ff

Makefile http://bpaste.net/show/bb89861ac1ea

Modules.builtin http://bpaste.net/show/c7e9c5b850d9
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure I am using openrc
Tonic3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laptop was switched off. On poweron, I get openrc 0.38.3 starting in green. I want to use openrc, hence why I want to try Gentoo! Is there a link you could send me to a stage3 tarball download? I did download from the official site though. Do you think I should reinstall and start fresh again or fight on!? I iskipped the systemd part of the handbook and I ddidn't use genkernel. I get network is unreachable when I turn back on and I have to dhcpcd. Reinstall??
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: