Drawing two framebuffers in different resolutions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abduct
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Drawing two framebuffers in different resolutions Reply with quote

Is it possible to tell X to draw two framebuffers of different resolution, and then map the specific framebuffer to a device such as LVDS1 or HDMI1?

I've been trying to figure out the difference between two commands:

Code:
xrandr --output HDMI1 --auto --scale-from 1366x768

and

Code:
xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output HDMI1 --auto --right-of LVDS1

The first command scales the 1366x768 resolution 1.3 times to fit a 1080p output of the HDMI1 hardware. This results in a blurry output on the 1080p side of things.

The second command somehow outputs the display in crystal clear clarity in 1080p format, at the cost of the display being isolated to its own virtual workspace in I3.

I have a feeling that X allocates another framebuffer when running the second command, and assigns it to a new virtual workspace/the HDMI1 interface, thus the greater clarity.

With that being said, is it possible to have one framebuffer drawing at 1366x768 for LVDS1, and a second framebuffer drawing the exact same screen at 1920x1080 and assign it to HDMI1? By exact same screen, I mean if I am in virtual workspace 1 in I3, have both framebuffers draw virtual workspace 1 in their respective resolutions, and map one to LVDS1 and the other to HDMI1.

Or is my understanding of what is happening flawed? Explanations of what is happening, what if it is possible or not would be great. I am simply trying to figure out the best way to clone what I see on my LVDS1 to HDMI1 without the quality/clarity impact.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: