[solved]Firefox called with i3 dmenu willnot play pandora
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: [solved]Firefox called with i3 dmenu willnot play pandora Reply with quote

So this is interesting, but I can't figure out the difference. When I run firefox from dmenu in i3, it won't play any sound. Pandora just cycles and it claims it can' decode anything. When I run it from a zsh prompt, pandora plays without problems. My guess is it has something to do with pulse audio and consolekit, but I could use some help figuring this out. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by tenspd1370 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and of course after I try doing some debugging and killing the server, etc - it works through dmenu. I have to get to work now, but if anyone has any suggestions on how to track what is happening, I would be appreciative.
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - here is what I figured out. Both of the followiing scenarios start with ensuring all pulseaudio processes are killed (starting fresh)

If I open firefox from dmenu, and play pandora, I can open pavucontrol from dmenu and it works fine. If I try to open pavucontrol from a zsh prompt, it claims it can't connect.

If I open firefox from zsh and pavucontrol from zsh, everything works, put tehn anything run frfom dmenu can't connect to pulseaudio.

So - it looks like it sees dmenu as a different user or something - can anyone point me in the right direction for debugging / figuring out a way around this? In the short term I suppose I can run these apps either from dmenu or zsh, but not both.

Thanks!

Last edited by tenspd1370 on Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that I will always have a browser open, I just set my config to launch firefox when i3 starts :

Code:
exec --no-startup-id compton -f
exec_always feh --bg-scale /usr/share/wallpapers/Personal/DARK.jpg
exec firefox

Firefox is always on my 2nd workspace :

Code:
assign [class="Firefox"] $ws2

As for Pulseaudio, I use it in Kali (as Kali is a SystemD distro), but in Gentoo I just use Alsa.

Also, have you tried using rofi instead of dmenu? I prefer it, especially as I keep i3blocks on the top of the screen.
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - the thought of ditching pulseaudio all together never really occured to me.... that is something to look into, as I can't stand all the baggage that comes with ConsoleKit, etc. But, I will have to wait until I have some time to figure out how to untangle that from my current setup/
Also, I am not familiar with rolfi.

Just a curiosity - do you know why an app opened from say - dmenu is treated differently than from zsh? I mean, my understanding was that PA sat below all that, and that when I run dmenu or something from zsh, both are run as "me" and have access to all the same environment setup and variables. It just confounds me.
Muso
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have no idea why it would launch differently.

As for rofi, just emerge it. I find it to be much more elegant than dmenu.

From ~/.config/i3/config
Code:
# start rofi (a program launcher)
bindsym $mod+d exec /root/.config/rofi.sh

And here's the rofi.sh, just put it in ~/.config/
Code:
#!/bin/sh

bg_color=#2f343f
text_color=#f3f4f5
htext_color=#9575cd

rofi -show run -lines 3 -eh 2 -width 100 -padding 400 -opacity "85" -bw 0 -color-window "$bg_color, $bg_color, $bg_color" -color-normal "$bg_color, $text_color, $bg_color, $bg_color, $htext_color" -font "Hack 16"

Colors are defined in ~/.config/i3/config
Code:
set $bg-color            #2f343f
set $inactive-bg-color   #2f343f
set $text-color          #f3f4f5
set $inactive-text-color #676E7D
set $urgent-bg-color     #E53935

# window colors
#                       border              background         text                 indicator
client.focused          $bg-color           $bg-color          $text-color          #00ff00
client.unfocused        $inactive-bg-color $inactive-bg-color $inactive-text-color #00ff00
client.focused_inactive $inactive-bg-color $inactive-bg-color $inactive-text-color #00ff00
client.urgent           $urgent-bg-color    $urgent-bg-color   $text-color          #00ff00

tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rofi is nice - great, another thing to spend my time customizing :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenspd1370 wrote:
Just a curiosity - do you know why an app opened from say - dmenu is treated differently than from zsh? I mean, my understanding was that PA sat below all that, and that when I run dmenu or something from zsh, both are run as "me" and have access to all the same environment setup and variables. It just confounds me.

Probably dbus and/or consolekit. Make sure you start the entire desktop session under dbus-launch (and whatever the ck-* equivalent is) so all the env vars get set correctly.

Pulseaudio works fine without consolekit, btw. If that's the only reason you had it installed, get rid of it.
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only reason I have consolekit - I'll yank it then and give it a shot. Thanks! I just got a desktop upgrade at work. My old system had been running gentoo for like 4 or 5 years. I just don't remember all the stuff I did to get audio working on that, but when I reinstall, I usually just walk through all the wiki pages again. I should probably take notes this time....
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing you need is to be in the "audio" group, and avoid using ALSA programs that want raw device access - ALSA comes preconfigured to use dmix nowadays, but there's still the odd exception.

What consolekit does is hide the device files behind ACLs to prevent users using sound "wrongly", from a ssh connection or cron or whatever. I consider that an antifeature.
tenspd1370
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was consolekit.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: