Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
slim/lightdm root window remains after session start...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whilom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: slim/lightdm root window remains after session start... Reply with quote

Apologies for not having a clearer idea of what might be going on; I'll need feedback before knowing what config info to post.

After my monthly emerge --sync and update world, a session manager or xdm problem started happening: after logging in (with either slim or lightdm) the root window of the session manager remains on my screen. At first I thought the session had failed to initialise, but while waving my mouse around the screen in hopeless frustration I noticed the mouse cursor was changing as it moused over the expected windows in my session. So I ssh'd in from my laptop and confirmed my session was fine, just "invisible" behind the session manager's root window. Eventually while poking around looking for what might have gone wrong, the screen saver engaged, and when keyboard input disengaged it, there was my session, just fine! Subsequent experimentation determined that CTRL-ALT-F1 then CTRL-ALT-F7 immediately after logging in also causes the session to return to normal. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

My only thought so far is that session management is supposed to reinitialise the X server and somehow that process is no longer happening. But that's just a thought. No new messages appear in dmesg or /var/log/messages during session startup. For what it's worth here's a capture of what /usr/share/slim/Xsession produces on stdout/stderr:

Code:
/usr/share/slim/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/usr/share/slim/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-
with-session /etc/X11/Sessions/Xfce4
/usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0.0
gpg-agent[3350]: WARNING: "--write-env-file" is an obsolete option - it has no effect
gpg-agent[3351]: gpg-agent (GnuPG) 2.2.10 started

(xfce4-session:3332): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 08:09:22.446: gpg-agent returned no PID in the variables

(xfsettingsd:3368): xfsettingsd-WARNING **: 08:09:22.745: Property "/Gdk/WindowScalingFactor" has an unsupported type "guint".

(xfce4-session:3332): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 08:09:23.017: failed to run script: Failed to execute child process “/usr/bin/pm-is-supported” (No such file or directory)

** (xfdesktop:3409): WARNING **: 08:09:23.018: Thumbnailer failed calling GetFlavors

(xfce4-session:3332): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 08:09:23.020: failed to run script: Failed to execute child process “/usr/bin/pm-is-supported” (No such file or directory)

(xfce4-session:3332): xfce4-session-WARNING **: 08:09:23.024: failed to run script: Failed to execute child process “/usr/bin/pm-is-supported” (No such file or directory)

(wrapper-2.0:3427): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:09:23.046: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -1 and height 30

(wrapper-2.0:3427): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:09:23.046: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node border, owner GtkFrame)

(wrapper-2.0:3428): Gtk-WARNING **: 08:09:23.056: Negative content width -1 (allocation 1, extents 1x1) while allocating gadget (node button, owner XfceArrowButton)
Fatal Error: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1011,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and wxPython used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1013,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: