Tip: speeding up modprobe bash-completion approximately 500x
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Tip: speeding up modprobe bash-completion approximately 500x Reply with quote

Symptom:
Code:
 ~ $ time _modules

real    1m34.954s
user    0m6.820s
sys     0m3.727s

The _modules command is the bashcomp helper function that finds kernel modules. I was getting a bit annoyed at how slow it was and decided to investigate.

In a discovery that'll probably give SteveL an aneurysm, I found it attempting to parse the output of ls -RL. It's scanning the entire kernel source tree in the /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/source symlink just to find module files under /lib/modules. My kernel source happens to be on an NFS mount, so it hits even harder. Not only that, the results end up being completely useless - it lists every single intermediate object file in the kernel tree as a loadable module.

This is a bit of a rubbish situation imo, so I wrote a sane implementation. Drop this in bashrc.d to fix it:
/etc/bash/bashrc.d/fix_modules_bashcomp.sh:
_modules()
{
    local modpath
    modpath=/lib/modules/$1
    COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W "$( find -L "$modpath" -type f -xdev -regex '.*\.k?o\(\.[gx]z\)?' 2>/dev/null | \
        command sed -e 's@^.*/\(.*\)\.k\?o\(\.[gx]z\)\?@\1@' )" -- "$cur" ) )
}

Result:
Code:
 ~ $ time _modules

real    0m0.026s
user    0m0.031s
sys     0m0.012s

I'm not the only Gentoo user to have noticed this, but upstream doesn't seem to care: https://github.com/scop/bash-completion/issues/136
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Tip: speeding up modprobe bash-completion approximately Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
_modules()
{
    local modpath
    modpath=/lib/modules/$1
    COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W "$( find -L "$modpath" -type f -xdev -regex '.*\.k?o\(\.[gx]z\)?' 2>/dev/null | \
        command sed -e 's@^.*/\(.*\)\.k\?o\(\.[gx]z\)\?@\1@' )" -- "$cur" ) )
}

Ant P. ... hehe, too much to expect a shell to glob for 'files' only, and return only the required part of the name?

Code:
% print -rl /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/(*~(source|build))/**/*.ko*(.:t:r) | head -n 2
acpi-cpufreq
applesmc

The '_modutils' zsh completion has the following:

_modutils:
modules=( $modules_dir/$kver/(*~(source|build))/**/*.(o|ko|ko.gz|ko.xz)(.:t:r:r) )

Anyhow, what I wanted to say was, you can probably improve the speed by excluding 'source' and 'build' from the find.

best ... khay
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, good catch, I was using -xdev to exclude /source but that'd only work on my machine, and I completely missed the /build dir.

Here's a revised version, still not as pretty as I'd like—bash doesn't have an inline equivalent to (.:t:r)—but it's correct, and more importantly, faster :)

_modules()
{
    COMPREPLY=( $( compgen -W "$(shopt -s globstar failglob
        printf '%s\n' /lib/modules/"${1:?}"/!(source|build)/**/*.@(o|ko|ko.gz|ko.xz) | \
        sed -e 's@^.*/\(.*\)\.k\?o\(\.[gx]z\)\?@\1@' )" -- "$cur" ) )
}

Code:
 ~ $ time _modules $(uname -r)

real    0m0.008s
user    0m0.006s
sys     0m0.005s

Not a bad speedup.

My numbers were a bit off too. The first one is a 4000× improvement, this is ~12000×.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: