View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coKe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Random X freezes Reply with quote

Hi, I'm struggling with an issue a long time ago. The thing is, since I implemented my box I have an anoying problem.

The thing goes like this:
The box randomly freezes, It can be 10 minutes after booting or 4 days after... I tough it was a complete freeze, but, today, I discovered that only the X server freezes (including keyboard and mouse input). I explain this situation... I was copying a huge amount of files in X with thunar, and went to the ttys, ttys were working perfectly, and, by looking drive activity led I determined that copying finished well. The surprise came after, when I tryed to go back to X, It doesn't only be hanged, It hanged well before the copying end. Can't go back to TTY's, so I understood mouse and keyboard input freezed aswell. While I cant go back to TTY's I can confirm the copy was done right, so the system wasn't fully hanged..

And now the troubleshooting I've done to the moment... I've been monitoring dmesg with -wH in xfce but no kernel messages where shown before hanging. Also, after rebooting I have been snooping arround Xorg.log.old but it doesn't show anything beyond my screen going back to X mode (just before hanging).

Any suggestions?
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you remote login via network from another computer ?
coKe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I can :)
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then start

Code:

on console to see, if something blocks the cpu or eats 100 % CPU power.
coKe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seem that the experience I've had during this days wasn't related with the original issue. Now it seems to be a full system freeze, but I will try to reproduce the situation where I changed from ttys to X and inmediately hanged :(
coKe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I've done a little system monitoring this days and I think I've discovered the issue... It seems that the swap got full (512Mb) and when something loaded the ram it freezed the whole system... The thing is tho... if the ram isn't full (it was under 50%) and the swap is, shouldn't the swapped data be transfered to normal ram?
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coKe wrote:
Well... I've done a little system monitoring this days and I think I've discovered the issue... It seems that the swap got full (512Mb) and when something loaded the ram it freezed the whole system... The thing is tho... if the ram isn't full (it was under 50%) and the swap is, shouldn't the swapped data be transfered to normal ram?

How much ram does your system have?

Despite how much ram you have still including 2 GB or larger swap space is wise and ideal. If you use hibernation you need as much or more swap as you have ram in your system because ram in use is dumped to the swap when hibernation is activated.

One other possibility is a hard disk problem is causing system lockups due to a swap partition ioctl failure. If you have an ssd and that ssd disk is starting to fail or trim hasn't been run regularly the swap partiton failing to read or write may cause a hard system lockup. I think trim affects the entire ssd disk but i'm not immediately clear about this so do fact check.

Running a swap partition on a old or poor quality ssd disk may cause an old or poor quality ssd to fail sooner depending on how heavy the usage has been. I still run 2 GB swap on my gentoo systems that have cheap adata ssd's but i definitely ensure i have system backups of those gentoo installs using the mkstage4 backup script.
Compile long and Prosper!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: