Bootable USB without dd...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Bootable USB without dd... Reply with quote

I've got an issue I need to solve. I want to make a USB bootable without wasting 63GB of the 64GB on the drive. I know Windows will only see the first partition on a USB stick and this is fine. I want to make a 62GB exFAT partition followed by a bootable 2GB partition which will contain PCLinuxOS install media. This will give me a live Linux environment and storage. The thing is, I have no clue how to do it. Every guide out there says to simple dd the ISO onto the disk. This will not work for me. How do I do this?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Great_Sephiroth,

System Rescue CD does it. Their guide requires the ISO to be made in the right way.

You get a bootable USB stick, I think it uses syslinux, with everything in files.
The guts of System Rescue CD is in a squashfs file that is mounted as root with an overlay filesystem of some sort, so it appears writeable.

The trick here is that the boot menu can be edited, so you can add whatever you want.
That means you could remove the System Rescue CD root filesystem if you were strapped for space.

From memory, the USB stick target need not be wiped either.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
KarlP
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the advent of GRUB 2 most of Linux Live-ISO-images can be booted directly. Irrespective of where they are stored. What you have to find out is the correct menuentry.

For instance, I have systemrescuecd-x85-5.0.1.iso, Peppermint-9-20180621-i386.iso and ubuntu-12.04.2-desktop-i386.iso on my HD. And I can start SystemRescueCD 5.0.1 with the menuentry:

Code:

menuentry "SystemRescueCD 5.0.1" {
       loopback loop (hd0,msdos10)/boot/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-5.0.1.iso
       linux (loop)/isolinux/rescue32 isoloop=/boot/iso/systemrescuecd-x86-5.0.1.iso setkmap=de
       initrd (loop)/isolinux/initram.igz
}

Some guide can be found at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multiboot_USB_drive
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried using GRUB2 to deal with ISO images in the past and some worked, some didn't. I'll give it a try again. I'd love to find a way to boot ISO images in either legacy BIOS or modern UEFI mode. YUMI is taking a stab at it, but it is buggy currently and in development. My ultimate goal would be a USB stick with a recent System Rescue CD ISO and every Windows ISO, 32bit and 64bit, from XP forward. It would make my IT life much better, but this is probably more of a dream right now than anything.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: