View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: FWIW: can't build KDE without one of elogind or consolekit Reply with quote

I find KDE's "Switch user" is half-broken. I can do it once, and have one session on tty7 and another (different user) on tty8. But If I log out of either, I can't log back in again; SDDM says everything's OK, but KDE won't start. I suspect it's something in elogind. Also, if I shutdown from either session, it just does it, rather than telling me about other sessions still running (like it used to). So I thought I try getting rid of SDDM and just logging in from the line-mode tty.

I could get that to work OK, using startx and adding "startkde" to .xinitrc. Fine, but in that case is elogind doing anything for me? Probably not, and I like to remove as much systemd as possible, I thought I'd try removing it too, but cleanly, i.e. using emerge --deplclean. Turns out it's not possible - KDE requires sys-apps/accountsservice and that requires one of elogind or consolekit. Which is annoying. (I was hoping to work towards Neddy's Olde-worlde-gentooe but for KDE.)
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my main laptop (amd64, OpenRC, elogind, LightDM, nvidia-drivers, KDE) I can log out of either session (different users) and log back in again (I can do this as many times as I want). If I shutdown from either session the greeter does show me that another session is active but then the system proceeds to shut down anyway. On my older laptop (~amd64, OpenRC, elogind, SDDM, xf86-video-ati, KDE) I see the same behaviour as you see.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plasma simply checks whether anything provides org.freedesktop.login1 via dbus. If anything does, like systemd-login and elogind, user privilege checking is enabled. And that is needed for hotplugging of external devices, power management and whether you are allowed to switch users, power down the machine, restart it, and so on.

That you can shut down the machine while another user is logged in, is intentional. Log in as root somewhere and try again as a normal user. Powering of the machine is blocked then.

I haven't tried the Plasma "Switch User" feature in a while. But as I am extensively testing elogind prior the next releases anyway, I'll add this to my todo list.

Please feel free to open issues on https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues whenever you think some glitch might have to do with elogind. That way I'll see it for sure.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Gover : I have just tested the switch user feature, and everything is working as expected. I can open a new session and then switch between the users at will.

However, I tested this with elogind-239.9999 (from seden overlay via layman) *after* I fixed https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues/82 -> maybe that issue is causing the misbehaviour on your system.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure,

Is your installation using SDDM or a different Display Manager?

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Yamakuzure,

Is your installation using SDDM or a different Display Manager?
I am using SDDM.
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
However, I tested this with elogind-239.9999 (from seden overlay via layman) *after* I fixed https://github.com/elogind/elogind/issues/82 -> maybe that issue is causing the misbehaviour on your system.

That's better! Now (a) I can log out and back in to the same user, and (b) swap parallel sessions using the KDE Switch user gizmo - before I had to use CtlAltF7/F8, which wasn't right.
Ta muchly.

As far as I can see, KDE doesn't now tell me about sessions open in parallel if I try to shut down. I'm sure it used to. (I was mis-describing when I said it would/would not let me; what I meant was it doesn't warn me I'm about to kill someone else's session. I doubt that's elogind's fault; looks more like KDE not bothering to check.)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goverp wrote:
As far as I can see, KDE doesn't now tell me about sessions open in parallel if I try to shut down. I'm sure it used to. (I was mis-describing when I said it would/would not let me; what I meant was it doesn't warn me I'm about to kill someone else's session. I doubt that's elogind's fault; looks more like KDE not bothering to check.)

IIRC this is either fixed in Plasma 5.14 or Frameworks 5.52 (to be released H1Nov).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: