View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Plasma 5.13.5: No effect when pressing Volume keys Reply with quote

Hallo friends.
I have a running Gentoo with Plasma 5.13.5. This is my third installation now. My pc-box is connected with a monitor via displayport.
And there is only one device in the pavucontrol devices list which is possible to select to hear sound (Digital-Stereo HDMI).
While on the two Plasma desktops before I was able to watch tv or watch movies (mpv, vlc) and control the volume with my keyboards vol-up, vol-down and vol-mute,
on my third system I can only see the symbol for my intended volume action on the display (monitor) but the stroking of the keys don't seem to be leading to that the system
(kmix or pulse, I'm not sure about what really counts) will increase, decrease or mute the sound.

As I said, I have Plasma 5.13.5 with Pulseaudio. Within kaffeine, vlc and mpv I can change the volume level or even mute it.
Like on my Gentoo systems before, I would like to control volume via my keyboard again.
For this I even tried to reconfigure the shortkey settings, but with the effect that now the keys were no more displayed on my monitor (and of course, sound was not effected like before).
So, I reset the keys then again, so that I got the keys (vol-up, vol-down, mute) displayed again.

Do you have a suggestion, a hint, how could I make control the volume with my keys again?

Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer

Last edited by linuxfluesterer on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
linuxfluesterer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**** Update****

Due to this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1064826-start-0.html, I conclused that I had to reemerge kmix with USE flag pulseaudio, because sound in Plasma is redirected / delegated to Pulseaudio .
Now after reemerging, I can control sound via keys on my keyboard.

So, thank you for joining.

-Linuxfluesterer
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, if you use pulseaudio, then enable the flag globally. Otherwise you will get errors like that.

Plasma/kmix do not require pulseaudio for sound to work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: