View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: 'The Good Censor' leaks: Google's mask slips Reply with quote

TFA wrote:
‘THE GOOD CENSOR’: Leaked Google Briefing Admits Abandonment of Free Speech for ‘Safety And Civility’

An internal company briefing produced by Google and leaked exclusively to Breitbart News argues that due to a variety of factors, including the election of President Trump, the “American tradition” of free speech on the internet is no longer viable.

Despite leaked video footage showing top executives declaring their intention to ensure that the rise of Trump and the populist movement is just a “blip” in history, Google has repeatedly denied that the political bias of its employees filter into its products.

But the 85-page briefing, titled “The Good Censor,” admits that Google and other tech platforms now “control the majority of online conversations” and have undertaken a “shift towards censorship” in response to unwelcome political events around the world.

Examples cited in the document include the 2016 election and the rise of Alternative for Deutschland (AfD) in Germany.

Responding to the leak, an official Google source said the document should be considered internal research, and not an official company position.

The briefing labels the ideal of unfettered free speech on the internet a “utopian narrative” that has been “undermined” by recent global events as well as “bad behavior” on the part of users. It can be read in full below.

It acknowledges that major tech platforms, including Google, Facebook and Twitter initially promised free speech to consumers. “This free speech ideal was instilled in the DNA of the Silicon Valley startups that now control the majority of our online conversations,” says the document.

The briefing argues that Google, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are caught between two incompatible positions, the “unmediated marketplace of ideas” vs. “well-ordered spaces for safety and civility.”

The first approach is described as a product of the “American tradition” which “prioritizes free speech for democracy, not civility.” The second is described as a product of the “European tradition,” which “favors dignity over liberty and civility over freedom.” The briefing claims that all tech platforms are now moving toward the European tradition.

The briefing associates Google’s new role as the guarantor of “civility” with the categories of “editor” and “publisher.” This is significant, given that Google, YouTube, and other tech giants publicly claim they are not publishers but rather neutral platforms — a categorization that grants them special legal immunities under Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. Elsewhere in the document, Google admits that Section 230 was designed to ensure they can remain neutral platforms for free expression.

The leaked document is in TFA.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS, just when I think my distaste for Google had stabilized, something comes to light that makes me really hate them.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
FFS, just when I think my distaste for Google had stabilized, something comes to light that makes me really hate them.
It was only at the level of distaste?

Maybe the difference for me is that while the specifics of what they were doing weren't publicly known, it seemed obvious that it was well beyond distaste. I don't recall any of the revelations being a surprise.

I did find the post-election video amusing in that echo chamber they created for themselves is so massive that it has to be the 9th or 10th wonder of the world, and certainly if you include all of Sociopath Valley.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly adequate economic reasons for why this is happening at Google.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google still has one thing going for them: They've never billed me for anything I didn't subscribe to. Microsoft on the other hand...
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
Muso wrote:
It was only at the level of distaste?

My levels of distaste can run pretty deep.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
Google still has one thing going for them: They've never billed me for anything I didn't subscribe to. Microsoft on the other hand...
That sounds like an abuse victim saying the abuse wasn't anything they didn't deserve.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
of course they haven't. That is because you are not the customer, you are the commodity.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
of course they haven't. That is because you are not the customer, you are the commodity.

Quote:

If something is free, you are the product.

wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:
That sounds like an abuse victim saying the abuse wasn't anything they didn't deserve.

Old School wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

:?

I have routinely paid Google for various services and my payments always stopped when they were supposed to. Microsoft's failure to maintain this level of quality irritates me more than Google's censorship.

How am I an abuse victim?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why this was leaked specifically to the website that just received a blanket ban from being used as a Wikipedia source.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I have routinely paid Google for various services and my payments always stopped when they were supposed to. Microsoft's failure to maintain this level of quality irritates me more than Google's censorship.

I see their censorship as separate from the abuse issue, but part of a bigger problem with the company.

The issue of abuse is related to their selling of a person's Online DNA while that person believes they are a customer of a free service.

Since you are or apparently have been willing to pay them, maybe you're their ideal commodity. Not only do they sell your Online DNA, but you're paying them to do it, and you apparently don't mind. That's fine as long as you're aware of what they're doing with your Online DNA. I presume that you are aware as opposed to a Typical J. Doe User who probably does not know what Google are doing (at least until recently).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
I wonder why this was leaked specifically to the website that just received a blanket ban from being used as a Wikipedia source.
That says more about Wikipedia.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

I see their censorship as separate from the abuse issue, but part of a bigger problem with the company.

The issue of abuse is related to their selling of a person's Online DNA while that person believes they are a customer of a free service.

Since you are or apparently have been willing to pay them, maybe you're their ideal commodity. Not only do they sell your Online DNA, but you're paying them to do it, and you apparently don't mind. That's fine as long as you're aware of what they're doing with your Online DNA. I presume that you are aware as opposed to a Typical J. Doe User who probably does not know what Google are doing (at least until recently).

I'm not paying them to sell my Online DNA, that's separate. I'm paying them to plaster volumes of Bleach manga in front of my face.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that makes you feel better. Two things we know. They are selling your Online DNA. You are paying them.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
If that makes you feel better. Two things we know. They are selling your Online DNA. You are paying them.

We know a few more things:

1. I get services in return for this.
2. I get volumes of Bleach manga plastered in front of my face.
3. They've never billed me when they shouldn't have (in comparison to MS).
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're getting manga from Google, I wonder what are you not getting from Microsoft that they're billing you for?
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
So if you're getting manga from Google, I wonder what are you not getting from Microsoft that they're billing you for?

Office 365. I cancelled it and they kept billing me.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
notageek wrote:

Office 365. I cancelled it and they kept billing me.

Oh no no no. You see sir, you didn't do the secret song and dance the intstructions (for which are an anagram made up of several random syscalls that are par of the kernel32.dll and a couple of entries in the Windows Event Log) while pressing the "unsubscribe" button on your Windows machine in the Microsoft Edge browser.
This is a classic case of not following instructions and the error was at user level; we will therefore not return the funds recieved as a part of this misunderstanding.

My experience with lvl. 2 support for Microsoft products or services.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We didn't really believe you when you said you did not want Office 365. I mean, we'll lock all your documents in proprietary format otherwise. Surely you don't want that? What is worse, losing your documents or we keep billing you for life?"
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What also annoys me about Microsoft these days is all the begware.

"You're not using Edge; we think you should be using Edge."
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
pjp wrote:

We know a few more things:

1. I get services in return for this.
2. I get volumes of Bleach manga plastered in front of my face.
3. They've never billed me when they shouldn't have (in comparison to MS).
Like I mentioned previously, you might be their ideal commodity. Although I have no idea why a minor billing error is that notable.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a commodity.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-30/google-and-mastercard-cut-a-secret-ad-deal-to-track-retail-sales

Quote:
For the past year, select Google advertisers have had access to a potent new tool to track whether the ads they ran online led to a sale at a physical store in the U.S. That insight came thanks in part to a stockpile of Mastercard transactions that Google paid for.

But most of the two billion Mastercard holders aren’t aware of this behind-the-scenes tracking. That’s because the companies never told the public about the arrangement.

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google being Nazi about Google News, again.

The mobile app used to be called "Google News & Weather", which had a reasonable compact layout where you could read a lots of news summary at once. The widget also was re-sizable to cover the space you wanted in the screen. Unfortunately they re-did the app and called it "Google News" and has a lot of white space and big and bloated etc. What bugs me the most is that the widget isn't re-sizable to your size of choosing and even if you did try to live with it, shows only one news per widget.

They disabled "Google News & Weather" today with a message saying they're not supporting the app anymore.

Yeah... I uninstalled both versions of Google News.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: