Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
No booting after following official guide and re(eee)boot.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngryEasternFrog wrote:
"your system doesn't support uefi"

Forget the live/minimal cd and dvd. Use sysrescuecd.
That link shows the most recent version and I'm 99.9% sure it's okay but because of your continued troubles and frustration, I'll point you to the most recent version that I personally have used and can vouch for, Version 5.2.2 of September 2, 2018. Follow the instructions on the home page (first link I gave) to burn a usb stick or just burn a CD if the target has a CD or DVD-ROM drive.

Then boot into the BIOS and verify that the BIOS supports UEFI and the first boot choice is UEFI on DVD or USB, whichever you have chosen to install. Then, reboot using the new CD or USB. You should now be on the systemrescuecd in UEFI mode.

At this point I'm a little hazy because I have done the UEFI install only once, using reFIND instead of grub. IIRC you have to use efibootmgr to view and create the boot entries. That link is to the Gentoo wiki and includes a link back to the appropriate section of the installation manual.

You are getting excellent support here, but I just had to stick my nose in because 90%+ of the install problems i see on the forum are due to using the Gentoo livedvd or minimal-cd. Forget those! I wish the manual didn't mention them at all!
Before discovering systemrescuecd I used to use Knoppix and I'm told that an Ubuntu DVD works, anything except the official media!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngryEasternFrog,

The mode you boot in for your install is not related to the mode you want to boot in until the very last minute.
That's when you join the pieces together.

Like Tony0945 says, for UEFI mode booting don't use the Gentoo live media.

System Rescue CD is the way to go. Its Gentoo based and needs no extra steps to be used as a Gentoo install media.
As to the exact steps you need, I'm sorry I can't help right now as I don't have any UEFI capable hardware yet.

I'm stopping short of recommending that you use BIOS mode for Gentoo. If you do that you will need to switch to UEFI to boot windows. That's a hack, don't do that.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: