View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Ambient light sensor to dynamically adjust screen brightness Reply with quote

Good morning everyone. I am a (sofar) happy owner of an HP EliteBook 850 G5. Now, this laptop comes with an in-built ambient light sensor on the top of the screen. When I tried the Ubuntu live, it used to work smoothly (whenever the ambient light changed, the screen brightness changed as well).
I would like to be able to get this on Gentoo as well, taking into account the fact that I am currently using Xfce4.

I can see the sensor listed under /sys/bus/iio/devices and under /dev:
Code:

➜  / ls /sys/bus/iio/devices
iio:device0  trigger0

➜  / ls /dev | grep iio
iio:device0
If I enter directory iio:device0, I can see the following:
Code:
➜  iio:device0 ls
buffer  in_illuminance_hysteresis  in_illuminance_raw                 in_illuminance_scale   in_intensity_hysteresis  in_intensity_sampling_frequency  name   scan_elements  trigger
dev     in_illuminance_offset      in_illuminance_sampling_frequency  in_intensity_both_raw  in_intensity_offset      in_intensity_scale               power  subsystem      uevent

Is there a way I can write some kind of utility to manage brightness according to the values available there? Could anyone help me with this?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a kernel module hp-wmi for controlling various things in HP laptops, including the ambient light sensor. If it is not already configured in your kernel, you could configure it (CONFIG_HP_WMI=m) and load the module to see if that works ('modprobe hp-wmi' then 'echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/hp-wmi/als' to enable the ALS). But, as you say it is working in Ubuntu, before you reconfigure and rebuild your kernel in Gentoo I suggest you boot an Ubuntu LiveCD or LivePendrive to check whether or not the hp-wmi module is loaded in Ubuntu ('lsmod').

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the hp-wmi module does not solve your problem, then the tool iio-sensor-proxy might. However, it has a hard dependency on systemd (see the Gentoo Forums thread iio-proxy for sensors and the Gentoo ebuild app-misc/iio-sensor-proxy in the mva overlay), so if you're not using systemd you could try in a local overlay the iio-sensor-proxy ebuild developed by Funtoo, as the Funtoo developers have excised the systemd dependency (see iio-sensor-proxy requires that "s" word - should I keep trying or move on? and Funtoo LinuxFL-4265 -- ii-sensor-proxy ebuild request).

Fitzcarraldo's blog
alogim
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
There is a kernel module hp-wmi for controlling various things in HP laptops, including the ambient light sensor. If it is not already configured in your kernel, you could configure it (CONFIG_HP_WMI=m) and load the module to see if that works ('modprobe hp-wmi' then 'echo 1 > /sys/devices/platform/hp-wmi/als' to enable the ALS). But, as you say it is working in Ubuntu, before you reconfigure and rebuild your kernel in Gentoo I suggest you boot an Ubuntu LiveCD or LivePendrive to check whether or not the hp-wmi module is loaded in Ubuntu ('lsmod').

I forgot to say that I wrote down all modules used by Ubuntu as well, so I enabled hp_wmi in the kernel right when I installed it. I also had to enable ACPI_ALS and HID_SENSOR_ALS.
If I try to echo 1 on that file (which exists), I get the following error:
Code:
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
If I try to open the file with nano, I get
Code:
[ magic_file(als) failed: cannot read `als' (Invalid argument) ]

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: