[Solved] Dracut initramfs kernel params seemingly missing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eatingthenight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: [Solved] Dracut initramfs kernel params seemingly missing Reply with quote

I am generating an initramfs using dracut and was hoping to use the rd.* params seen from `man dracut.cmdline` to poke around inside my initramfs mostly just for learning. However although I have build my initramfs and can boot my OS with it passing in rd.debug or rd.break is simply ignores and the system boots right up. I can confirm that these are being passed into the kernel from the syslog output after I boot into the system however they seem to have no effect.

Last edited by eatingthenight on Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total
eatingthenight
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual I didn't understand fully how dracut works. I was setting `rdinit` to /sbin/init on my kernel commandline because when running earlier I was getting an invalid opcode error that I didn't look into. Switching to the different init binary fixed it however it also had the effect of being different than the build in /init program. The /init program has all the checks for the rd.* kernel cmdline params and so none of them worked anymore. I resolved the issue with the invalid opcode which was switch the cpu arch type to Haswell for QEMU in my case `-cpu Haswell` and set rdinit to /init. Everything now works.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: