Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
NZ Travel Warning: “digital strip searches”
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: NZ Travel Warning: “digital strip searches” Reply with quote

NZ to fine travellers who refuse to hand over phone passwords at border
Quote:
OUTRAGED travellers have vowed to avoid New Zealand after it became the first country to fine passengers who refuse to hand over their phone passwords at the border.

New Zealand’s Customs and Excise Act 2018, which comes into effect this week, allows customs officials to demand passwords, PINs and encryption keys to unlock devices for “digital strip searches”.

Travellers who refuse to hand over the passwords will be charged up to $NZ5000 ($A4580) and could face having their device confiscated as well as prosecution.

Previously, customs officials could stop anyone at the border and demand to see their devices but until now, the law didn’t compel travellers to provide their password as well.

_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wants to go that shit-hole anyway.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 748
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: NZ Travel Warning: “digital strip searches” Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
NZ to fine travellers who refuse to hand over phone passwords at border
Quote:
OUTRAGED travellers have vowed to avoid New Zealand after it became the first country to fine passengers who refuse to hand over their phone passwords at the border.

New Zealand’s Customs and Excise Act 2018, which comes into effect this week, allows customs officials to demand passwords, PINs and encryption keys to unlock devices for “digital strip searches”.

Travellers who refuse to hand over the passwords will be charged up to $NZ5000 ($A4580) and could face having their device confiscated as well as prosecution.

Previously, customs officials could stop anyone at the border and demand to see their devices but until now, the law didn’t compel travellers to provide their password as well.


Any foreign pentester going to NZ will need to set up their drives with the LUKS nuke option to ensure that the NDA with their clients isn't violated.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nassty little hobbitses.
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol: :lol:
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Nassty little hobbitses.

:lol:
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else wonder at the silence of a certain member of our community who would otherwise be outraged at such a violation of privacy? :P
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 748
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Does anyone else wonder at the silence of a certain member of our community who would otherwise be outraged at such a violation of privacy? :P


He's busy fighting against full employment.
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:
Does anyone else wonder at the silence of a certain member of our community who would otherwise be outraged at such a violation of privacy? :P


He's busy fighting against full employment while dressed like this.

_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Muso
l33t
l33t


Joined: 22 Oct 2002
Posts: 748
Location: The Holy city of Honolulu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Muso wrote:
Old School wrote:
Does anyone else wonder at the silence of a certain member of our community who would otherwise be outraged at such a violation of privacy? :P


He's busy fighting against full employment while dressed like this.


:lol: :lol: :lol:
_________________
People Of Love

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 153
Location: /nz/auckland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is fucking disgusting, at least they need some grounds for suspicion prior to going through your shit. Currently. How flimsy that reason needs to be remains to be seen but, our customs agency is a far sight different from the Aussies and the TSA. For Now.

It's fucking criminal either way if you ask me though, it certainly feels like the water in the pot just got a couple of degrees warmer.

e2a: as an additional thought, I wonder if it's pure coincidence this law comes in as soon as we have a communist government installed.... yeah, pure coincidence I'm sure..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
our customs agency is a far sight different from the Aussies and the TSA. For Now.
Maybe they'll charge you do be vetted and tagged.

1. Apply Online

Submit an online application in 5 minutes & schedule an appointment at any of 380+ enrollment centers.
2. Background Check

A 10 minute, in person appointment that includes a background check and fingerprinting.
3. Enjoy TSA Pre✓®

Add your Known Traveler Number to your ticket and enjoy!

Don't forget to enjoy.

Except for fingerprinting, they could automatically do that for everyone.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 240
Location: West Bank of the Coast Fork

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my last two flights I was directed through the TSA Pre✓®, and I've never even applied. My boarding pass even indicated the pre check.

I wonder if some muzzie has stolen my identity. 8O :wink:
_________________
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.
George Orwell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 17455

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quit flying because I can't afford to upgrade to a Remain Fully Clothed / Non-assault Club membership.
_________________
Slowly I turned. Step by step.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I sometimes exit the concourse area and go back through security just to get my nuts re-fondled and my anus re-probed.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HungGarTiger
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 04 Feb 2014
Posts: 153
Location: /nz/auckland

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
Personally, I sometimes exit the concourse area and go back through security just to get my nuts re-fondled and my anus re-probed.


I'm not surprised tbh :lol:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sugar
Guru
Guru


Joined: 07 Aug 2004
Posts: 579
Location: Morrinsville, New Zealand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're just securing our border because of all the Mexican rapists etc.
_________________
He who calls for full employment calls for war!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 1606
Location: U.S.A.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be more worried about the Chinese and Indomuzzies.
_________________
patrix_neo wrote:
The human thought: I cannot win.
The ratbrain in me : I can only go forward and that's it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum