Gentoo on mobile devices?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcarpenter2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject: Gentoo on mobile devices? Reply with quote

I would like to install Gentoo onto my pocket computer. Thinking about buying one of these https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Devices.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this project https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Android
jcarpenter2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have been more specific: I have zero interest in binary blobs such as Android. I can't control them, and I especially can't use them. It isn't as if Google constructed a particle accelerator, smashed some quarks together, and thus discovered Android smartphones; no, rather Android can be explained in terms of the four fundamental forces, mainly electromagnetism. I will run Gentoo on my pocket computer and no other operating system, or I will deprecate my pocket computer and phase it out of my life.

Thanks though, good link ;)
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Android is basically a linux OS with some google components.
But I think you can install LineageOS
lineageos.org wrote:
LineageOS is a free and open-source operating system for smartphones and tablet computers, based on the Android mobile platform.

and then install gentoo prefix.

Or you can by Librem 5 phone:
puri.sm/shop/librem-5/ wrote:
Librem 5, the phone that focuses on security by design and privacy protection by default.

John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably going to experiment with Ubuntu Touch and try to slip Gentoo in underneath. Works on the Nexus 5.

- John
bazylitor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's a good topic but I have a bunch of chinese and cheap android phones that are not listed as working/not working. I do not know how (yet) but I can test if Gentoo can run on them.

My list of less known devices:
- Energizer Energy S550
- Doro 8040 - something like *** Link removed by Neddyseagoon
- Oukitel K6000 Plus
- AGM A8

Let me know if I can help. I would be happy to contribute.

cheers

Last edited by bazylitor on Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bazylitor,

I've removed commercial links from your post as they are against Forum Guidelines (deemed to be SPAM) and because, well, Google exists. If you really want to help, start by learning to install Gentoo on a more traditional platform. From that, you'll develop some of the skills necessary to tackle the more challenging platforms like phones.

- John
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing about Android mobile devices with a heart of linux is the unsustainable aspect. Linux was great at reviving old and dead hardware. Whereas android devices become paper-weight soon as Google releases a new version. Neither google nor the manufacturer have an interest in making sure that their older (but perfectly functioning) hardware doesn't end up in landfills.

I have a few Android devices lying about, and I am loathe to throw them away. One of the reasons I got on the gentoo bandwagon was because of my perception that I could get gentoo to run any device. I have been following Gentoo Prefix with a keen interest, but my understanding is a bit lacking in taking things forward.

Hopefully, with more people becoming interested and more devices becoming available (or useless otherwise), we might see more of a push in the direction of mobile devices with linux becoming more mainstream.
jcarpenter2
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

josephg wrote:
The sad thing about Android mobile devices with a heart of linux is the unsustainable aspect. Linux was great at reviving old and dead hardware. Whereas android devices become paper-weight soon as Google releases a new version. Neither google nor the manufacturer have an interest in making sure that their older (but perfectly functioning) hardware doesn't end up in landfills.

I have a few Android devices lying about, and I am loathe to throw them away. One of the reasons I got on the gentoo bandwagon was because of my perception that I could get gentoo to run any device. I have been following Gentoo Prefix with a keen interest, but my understanding is a bit lacking in taking things forward.

Hopefully, with more people becoming interested and more devices becoming available (or useless otherwise), we might see more of a push in the direction of mobile devices with linux becoming more mainstream.

So true. Mobile phones are not manufactured with interchangeable parts in mind, I get the impression. Each is a blackbox, and there's a lot of repetitive reverse-engineering work that has to be done to unlock and support the hardware on each one.

Do let me know if you get Gentoo up and running on any of them! I've got an old iPhone 4S but have hit a wall with installing Linux onto it. Definitely in the market for a mobile phone / pocket computer that I can install Linux on without a great hassle. Having a small computer would be extraordinarily useful - it's too bad there aren't any on the market, when there are so many Androids and iPhones!
josephg
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcarpenter2 wrote:
Do let me know if you get Gentoo up and running on any of them! I've got an old iPhone 4S but have hit a wall with installing Linux onto it. Definitely in the market for a mobile phone / pocket computer that I can install Linux on without a great hassle. Having a small computer would be extraordinarily useful - it's too bad there aren't any on the market, when there are so many Androids and iPhones!

All my spare phones are android. They have a linux kernel, and perhaps why easier to port linux.

I don't have any iPhones to play with. So I can't comment on the suitability of those. But I understand iOS is BSD at it's heart. http://roughlydrafted.com/2007/07/15/iphone-os-x-architecture-the-bsd-unix-userland

Jailbreak for ssh access to a full shell with all the normal utils. You could make it a server, web server and/or run various other daemons.

I have also heard folks getting linux on iPhones. Have a look at http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/IDroid and http://github.com/iDroid-Project/openiBoot.

If you can open the bootloader and boot a custom kernel, then you have your pocket computer. Plug a keyboard and monitor in, and you have a full-fledged computer perhaps even more powerful than my netbook here.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcarpenter2 ...

I have an OQO Model E2. It's in storage right now, but unlike android/iPhone devices, it's just a PC ... stick in a sysrescuecd USB and boot. Once you get use to the kbd (which is small, but full featured) it's not difficult to CLI (and so no tablet/phone UI is needed ... mine has i3wm, and urxvt, as the UI).

I've heard they are cheap, but I can't say, mine came when a friend was getting rid of it and said "want this?" I've not used it much, but everything works HW wise (so I'm told), never used the broadband. Wireless works fine, and it has USB2.0 for any other perpheral you might need (eg, ethernet).

I need to dig it out, but I've been expecting to move, and will be shortly, and so that should happen in the not too distant future. I have /proc/cpuinfo, dmesg, lsmod, lspci outputs on this machine so if you want more specific HW info just ask.

best ... khay
sao98021
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i bought a moto e5 plus the other day, broke my stylo.

phone has a 32gb internal storage so i wanted to put gentoo prefix in it, i had it on my old phone.

so, rooted, busyboxed.

but when i go to launch prefix i get
Code:
mount: 'rootfs'->'/': No such device

thought it could be just permissions but i remounted everything rw

fixed it, had to decrypt by flashing no-verity boot.
moult
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running Gentoo in a chroot since 2014. It's been rock solid and I've run it on many android devices without issue. Most recently I've installed it on a Samsung S7. I install all my command line tools (tmux is a must!) and also install a light WM like Fluxbox along with X, and compile a browser like Midori in case I need to do some javascript inspection on a website.

It works great along with a bluetooth mouse and keyboard (although I rarely use the mouse, just the keyboard given that I am comfortable on a CLI). I'd definitely recommend this setup.

I wrote some notes on how to install it here:
https://thinkmoult.com/installing-gentoo-android-chroot.html

This is a video I took of me running Fluxbox on it: https://peertube.social/videos/watch/ad395c9b-9702-4060-ac05-4c94b64956ab

And then if you want eye-candy this video shows The GIMP, Blender, Midori, and Enlightenment WM all running on Gentoo on Android. https://peertube.social/videos/watch/525aa253-5ef2-410f-b4e0-2c401064005d
Shapito
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bazylitor wrote:
I don't know if it's a good topic but I have a bunch of chinese and cheap android phones that are not listed as working/not working. I do not know how (yet) but I can test if Gentoo can run on them.

My list of less known devices:
- Energizer Energy S550
- Doro 8040 - something like *** Link removed by Neddyseagoon
- Oukitel K6000 Plus
- AGM A8

Let me know if I can help. I would be happy to contribute.

cheers

Hello. Have you tried to install Gentoo on Oukitel K6000 Plus? Was it successful?
death-magnet
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting to experiment with setting up a full environment within termux. My phone is my internet connection, so completely wiping it and going for a full install just isn't going to happen.

I just haven't got around to doing it. Been having too much fun tinkering with gentoo on the old laptop.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: