[SOLVED] Fresh Install Cannot Boot Live DVD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Fresh Install Cannot Boot Live DVD Reply with quote

I did a fresh gentoo install on a new laptop that runs windows 10. I installed grub and the kernel image in the /dev/nvme0n1p1 partition of my SSD drive (which is the ESP of my windows system) and the rootfs in /dev/sda3 (dont have a need for swap). Compiled the kernel with genkernel --menuconfig all and set up my environment according to
and

mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 to /mnt/gentoo/boot, mounted /dev/sda3 to /mnt/gentoo, unpacked the tarball, updated my @world with selected profile being 18 which is ./17.0/gnome/systemd (something along those lines I don't have it in front of me and only have 1 computer). Chrooted in my environment, compiled the kernel and rebooted. Once rebooted I booted into the gentoo installation which timed out at /dev/nvme0n1p1 giving me a dependency issue. it doesn't say what the issue is but when I tried to mount it, it said that it can't mount the partition because it is an unknown filesystem. I didn't emerge anything fat32 related so I suppose that is the problem. Now when I try to boot back into the liveDVD it halts at the screen with the penguins... I have no clue how that can be too be honest. Any ideas? Since I am typing this on windows I don't know how to retrieve error logs either. Any help would be appreciated. I have waited to long with installing gentoo on this laptop and right now I feel like I am very VERY close.

Edit: booted from the system rescue CD and it doesn't seem to be able to find my harddrives or its partitions while I do see them in windows.

Edit: the live environments don't seem to be able to find either my HDD or my SSD. Only the usb. What could cause this?

Edit: BIOS settings were reset.

[Moderator edit: fixed [url] tag. Forum auto-linking does not work when the URL ends in a comma. -Hu]

Last edited by ZappingLinux on Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keruskerfuerst
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you try another Linux Live CD, like Ubuntu, Mamjaro, ... ?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:

Thought I'd download one. So it's busy. It seems as if it cannot find my hard drives anymore. the live dvd just halts at bootup when looking for sata devices. at this point I may as well start over but this is extremely strange. Why would it all of a sudden not find my devices?
ZappingLinux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keruskerfuerst wrote:

So I ran linux mint from a liveusb and it is unable to detect my nvme ssd. However I can still boot into windows. rEFInd still detects a gentoo kernel being present on the EFI partition but I cannot mount it or detect in linux. What has happened here???
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: