Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
Hello again dmpogo,

My main laptop, which I migrated to elogind first, has NVIDIA Optimus hardware (GeForce GTX 860M discrete GPU plus Intel HD Graphics 4600 integrated GPU) and I use nvidia-drivers with it (I don't use Bumblebee), so the NVIDIA driver on your desktop machine may not be the root cause.

If I understood correctly your post today in the other thread (the first link in my previous post), SDDM on your desktop machine now works as expected after you removed elogind from any runlevel and left D-Bus to start elogind automatically. If that is indeed the case, I suppose there is no incentive to investigate further. If it is working fine that way, congrats!

Yes, but it works once, on a clean boot. Since elogind is launched later automatically anyway, any attemps to /etc/init.d/xdm restart will fail, unless I manually track and kill elogind process before restarting xdm. So it is not a great bother, since I rarely need it, but still is some bug lurking
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the same behaviour as you on both my laptops running Gentoo with elogind (one runs amd64, nvidia-drivers and LightDM; the other runs ~amd64, xf86-video-ati and SDDM).

If I open a terminal window in the Desktop Environment, login as root user and enter the command '/etc/init.d/xdm restart', the screen blanks and there is a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen. (When both laptops had ConsoleKit installed, that command would result in the Desktop Manager greeter appearing and I could login again.) On the first laptop, Ctrl+Alt+F<n> works, and I can switch to a TTY. On the second laptop, Ctrl+Alt+F<n> does not work and all I can do is press the laptop's OFF button.

However, on both laptops, if I do not enter the command '/etc/init.d/xdm restart' from a terminal window but I instead press Ctrl+Alt+F<n> to switch to a TTY, I can login as root on a TTY and enter '/etc/init.d/xdm restart', which results in both laptops displaying the Desktop Manager greeter on TTY7 and I can login successfully.

So, basically, in my case the difference between OpenRC+ConsoleKit and OpenRC+elogind is that '/etc/init.d/xdm restart' no longer causes the Desktop Manager to display the greeter on TTY7 if I enter the command from a terminal window in the Desktop Environment. However, '/etc/init.d/xdm restart' still works from a TTY and still causes the Desktop Manager to display the greeter on TTY7, from which I can login again.

Therefore, have you tried entering the command /etc/init.d/xdm restart' on a TTY instead of in a terminal window in the Desktop Environment?

EDIT: I have created the script ~/xdmrestart.sh listed below, which enables me to restart xdm from a terminal window within the Desktop Environment in an installation running elogind.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# For use to restart xdm from within the Desktop Environment
# in an installation that uses OpenRC+elogind.
# See https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1086741.html
#
# 1. Open a terminal window in the Desktop Environment.
# 2. Enter the command ./xdmrestart.sh
#
echo "Enter your user account password."
sudo openvt -s -w /etc/init.d/xdm restart

Code:
./xdmrestart

EDIT2: Interestingly, the above script works on the laptop that uses SDDM, but not on the laptop that uses LightDM. :roll:   On the laptop that uses SDDM, the screen blanks and I see the following messages:

Code:
* Stopping sddm ...
* Setting up sddm ...
* Stopping sddm ...
* Setting up sddm ...
* Stopping sddm ...
* Setting up sddm ...

and then the SDDM greeter appears and I can login again.   On the laptop that uses LightDM, the screen blanks and I see the following messages, and the LightDM greeter does not appear:

Code:
* Stopping lightdm ...
* xdm: caught SIGTERM, aborting

Fitzcarraldo's blog
grant123
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to work fine after installing elogind here. Should that be added as a dep to skypeforlinux?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grant123 wrote:
Seems to work fine after installing elogind here. Should that be added as a dep to skypeforlinux?

You're not wrong. Something along the following lines, I suppose, given that it requires either systemd or OpenRC+elogind now:

Code:
DEPEND="|| ( sys-apps/systemd sys-auth/elogind )"

Fitzcarraldo's blog
maelnor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
If someone interested, I faced the same problem and created a simple script to trick skype into thinking that systemd is installed on the system.
https://github.com/maelnor/skype-dbus-mock
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maelnor wrote:
Hi everyone!
If someone interested, I faced the same problem and created a simple script to trick skype into thinking that systemd is installed on the system.

this isn't a systemd issue, I don't have systemd installed, I have elogind and udev installed and running openrc.
see
Code:

dagg@NCC-5001-D /tmp/root $ eix | egrep 'systemd|elogind|openrc|udev' | egrep "^\[I\] |^\* "
* app-admin/openrc-settingsd
* app-admin/systemdgenie
* app-text/uudeview
* app-vim/udev-syntax
[I] dev-libs/libgudev
* dev-python/python-gudev
* dev-python/python-systemd
* dev-python/pyudev
* games-simulation/openrct2
* kde-misc/systemd-kcm
* sec-policy/selinux-openrc
* sys-apps/gentoo-systemd-integration
[I] sys-apps/openrc
* sys-apps/systemd
* sys-apps/systemd-readahead
* sys-apps/udevil
[I] sys-auth/elogind
* sys-boot/plymouth-openrc-plugin
* sys-boot/systemd-boot
* sys-devel/systemd-m4
* sys-fs/eudev
[I] sys-fs/udev
[I] sys-fs/udev-init-scripts
* sys-libs/libudev-compat
* sys-process/systemd-cron
[I] virtual/libgudev
[I] virtual/libudev
[I] virtual/udev

Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaggyStyle,

maelnor has created a package that mimics part of the functionality of systemd-logind (or elogind) in installations that use OpenRC+ConsoleKit, in order to fool Skype >=8.30.* -- which requires systemd-logind (or elogind) D-Bus functionality -- into 'thinking' that systemd-logind (or elogind) has been installed so that Skype will run.

Excerpt from skype-dbus-mock-9999.ebuild
Code:
[...]
RDEPEND=">=net-im/skypeforlinux-8.30
    dev-python/dbus-python[${PYTHON_USEDEP}]
    !sys-apps/systemd
    !sys-auth/elogind"
[...]

I have not tried maelnor's approach, though, as I had already migrated from OpenRC+ConsoleKit to OpenRC+elogind.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maelnor wrote:
Hi everyone!

That leads to the question - does skype actually use elogind/systemd and what will fail if they are not present ? On the same footing, I would be happy if one could also him away gnome-keyring dependency :)
jorgicio
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: A workaround for MATE users Reply with quote

A workaround for MATE users: just install elogind aside being installed consolekit. The Calculate Overlay provides a slightly modified version of the ebuild for skypeforlinux which relies on elogind or systemd as a dependency.
maelnor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
That leads to the question - does skype actually use elogind/systemd and what will fail if they are not present ? On the same footing, I would be happy if one could also him away gnome-keyring dependency :)

Only thing I found skype wants from systemd is to delay a shutdown of OS.
ayvango
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What could you suggest for the nodm users? I had never used systemd, logind and other freedesktop oddities. I always straightforwardly start X server.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maelnor wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Only thing I found skype wants from systemd is to delay a shutdown of OS.

Does it delay logout as well ? Because I did notice that logout started taking some time recently for me
bagas
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
grant123 wrote:

You're not wrong. Something along the following lines, I suppose, given that it requires either systemd or OpenRC+elogind now:

Code:
DEPEND="|| ( sys-apps/systemd sys-auth/elogind )"

Thanks for the advice.
I'm lazy, I do not like new things!
Microsoft still forced me to switch to elogind! )))
The last update of Skype erased version 8.29, and 8.30 and 8.32 did not want to run.
Its OK now.

P.S.
In general, Microsoft has spoiled Skype!
Skype version 4.3 was logical, practical, lightweight and easy to use!
The current Skype is as bad as Windows 10! )))
Began to move from Skype to Telegram.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagas wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

You're welcome.

bagas wrote:
Microsoft still forced me to switch to elogind! )))

I also don't like the fact that Microsoft forced me to switch to elogind. I wasn't having any problems with ConsoleKit.

bagas wrote:
In general, Microsoft has spoiled Skype!
Skype version 4.3 was logical, practical, lightweight and easy to use!
The current Skype is as bad as Windows 10! )))

I fully agree with you. Actually, many Windows users are also complaining about Skype's new UI. It's awful. I think Microsoft is trying to compete with the likes of WhatsApp, but Skype's new UI is lousy in comparison to the WhatsApp UI.

bagas wrote:
Began to move from Skype to Telegram.

I wish I could ditch Skype, but unfortunately I have a lot of work and personal contacts who use Skype and they don't want to switch to anything else. Additionally, when I'm on overseas work trips, I quite often need to make Skype-to-landline or Skype-to-mobile calls to people in other countries at their local phone rates, and I don't know of another service as ubiquitous as Skype that offers that facility.

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: